Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me pick tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTChevy, Nov 24, 2005.

?

What tires should i get?

1. 33x12.50R15

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  2. 35x12.50R15

57 vote(s)
    93.4%
  1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got the money for tires now and im not quite sure what will fit, look alright. This is for a weekend warrior and i dont want to do any trimming... yet... since im not off to college yet and parents disagree. i do not flex my truck too much but it does see it. What would you get 33's or 35's? Do i get pro comps or BFG's? so many desicions. I dont want to buy the wrong one.

[​IMG]

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

35" BFG :D couple guys i know had procomp mt's and were not pleased with them, eventho they have the buy 3 get 1 free deal.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had a single problem with ProComp MTs. They have always been very true, require hardly any weight to balance, good at high speed freeway stuff and as good as a standard MT tire can be offroad as well. BFG muds are over rated IMO. If they are the exact same price, fine, go BFG... but if they are cheaper I'd go with Procomps.

j

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

35" Pro Comps, mud terrains.... You'll love 'em. I had 33"ers on my street truck, and rotated/balanced them every 3,000 miles - I got 60,000 miles out of those tires.

5. muddybuddy

haha seems like this thread isnt gonna get you any closer in choosing brands. :haha:

6. jekbrown

I know there was something I forgot... ProComp MTs seem to wear better than BFG MTs. Mine damn near look new.

j

7. MTChevy

i guess right now my decision is on price... how bout the mileage difference ill get out of the tire between an AT and MT?... lookin like 35's will fit, but i guess the sheetmetal will have to sort its self out if i flex

8. muddybuddy

i think if both are rotated every 3k miles they will last a real long time. MT's are only like $5-10 more than At's at least for BFG

9. jekbrown

ATs will usually last longer... less tread void in the contact patch. Of course, it doesn't take much mud at all to fill up the tread on an AT turning it into a racing slick....

j

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Between the Pro Comps and BFG's I would recommend the BFG's hands down. Pro comps tires are over priced and you cannot beat BFG's reputation in the off road industry.

The AT's are a great tire, but the MT are more aggressive looking.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I vote for neither. I never used either brand. Right now I'm running sidewinder MTs 33x12.50. They have decent road manners (up to 80mph on the highway I've had em). The off road traction is impressive. I drug a 7k lb dump truck with 3k lbs of dirt on it that busted it's slip yoke out of the cemetery with it. But what impressed me the most was performance on ice. These tires seemed sticky and yesterday when all the melting snow turned to ice I had no problems driving home in 2wd. These tires also clean out very well. The best part, total for 4 tires including mounting and balancing $428 at a local tire shop.

Maybe it's because this is my first set of MT tires but I was really impressed with them.

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

look for mud kings or sport kings i had a set off 33" sport kings and a set of 35" mudkings. these are the same exact tires as the bfg mud and at tires. turns out that they're a generic brand made by bfg (most tire shops wont tell you that so you'll buy the "better"-more expensive tires. The mud/sport kings are much cheaper, and i put about 50,000 on the muds and they are still driveable (and a few burn outs on top of that. The sport kings had 55,000 and they still look awsome. they wore like iron, the only r4eason i got rid of them was for something bigger.

13. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want to save some money and still get some decent tires, go over to sam's club. For less than the price of 33" BFG's I got 35" Dunlop Radial mud rovers. Took minimal wieght to balance and I've had them up to 85 mph without any vibration. Not too noisey either.

I paid $125 a tire plus $10 for mount an balance (per tire). The sling mud just as good as a BFG. Plus you can show some responsability to the parents that you shopped around and save some of the cash you saved up.

My total cost on 35x12.50 15's was $540 (plus tax)
    4Wheel parts cost on 33x12.50 15's is $163.99, add $10 per for M&B x4 and you get $695.96. That was a savings of $155 for me.

14. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I 2nd the Mud Rover, nice tire for the price.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

First off, if you get 33's, you'll only end up wishing you got 35's. You are gonna re-gear, right? As far as the brand, I would go BFG, any day. That's all I have ever run and I have never had a complaint. I used to run the AT's on my 'yota, in 29 an 31" sizes, and 33" AT's on my K5. I get at least 60,000 miles out of a set of these. I currently have 35" MT's on my K5, we'll have to see how these wear. I know I'll be wanting to go to a larger tire in the future, I wish BFG's came in larger sizes, I'd stick with them. I was told by member Kieth on here, who works at 4WPW, that the pro comp's are made by Cooper tire. I will accept that as true until I learn otherwise, but IMO the BFG is a superior tire. By the way, I balanced mine with Equal, and am very happy with the results.

16. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I have 33" bfg m/t's om my 87 4runner,31" bfg a/t's on my 91 4runner and 33"bfg a/t's on my K5.I love those tires.I am putting new 33's on the K5 tomorrow and will stick with bfg.I would love to go 35's and a 6 inch lift but I would want to regear 1st as I climb a big ass mountain everyday to work.Next time tires come up I will regear and lift but if you're going to regear soon then go with 35's.

17. MTChevy

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I do not plan to regear any time soon cause i see no use on a 10b axle. As soon as i leave home in oct, i am planning on throwing some new axles under there. I think the one tire store here quoted me 157 for a 33x12.50 Pro Comp All terrain. Thanks again for the suggestions, keep em comin

18. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

The bfg 33's I'm picking up are 138 at Summit racing and I have $60 in Summit bucks so I'm getting them for 500.I'm happy with that.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

By the way, I balanced mine with Equal, and am very happy with the results.[/QUOTE] How is Equal at eighty MPH?

20. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Equal at 80 mph is smooth sailing. I decided to go with equal after researching here and pirate. No one around here (San Francisco, not CK5) had heard of it, not even the shop that mounted my tires for me, and were all like "WTF, that sounds like snake oil." but I ran it and am very pleased. I notice that at lower speeds, 15-30mph or so, when I hit a good bump, the equal will jar loose for a few seconds, and I get some out of balance wobble until it redistributes itself, but I dont mind. It doesnt happen at the higher speeds, i guess because of the high centripedal forces keeping it in place. I don't like ugly wheel weights, and when I had my D44 the tre would contact the weights that were on the inside of the rim, putting my tires out of balance after it wore some of the lead off.