Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me please, I'm going crazy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Oct 30, 2005.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

I have an 85 suburban 3/4 ton diesel automatic 4WD, with a 6"lift, and when I'm driving down the road I keep hearing this loud clacking sound, like when your digging in your toolbox, I've checked everything I can think of, u joints, wheel bearings, hubs, and every possbile break, fuel, oil cooler, line that I can find, and none of them are loose or touching anything that would cause this, its got a np208 transfer case, and I was thinking maybe the chain was worn out, or broken, but its not, I can put the truck in neutral while coasting and turn the motor off and it still makes the noise, I've spent two days looking for this damn noise with NO luck :mad: .

anybody have any ideas?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

engine/transmission mounts and bolts...... something floating around in a differential....... a dropped tool somewhere......

I just had a flashback, if your stock jack and handle are mounted on the fender under the hood try looking there, I had a noise that drove me nuts and thats what it turned out to be

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

had that problem with mine, i jus took them out...problem solved

4. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

I had my stock jack fall on my steering colum.it wedged in and I couldnt steer.luckily it was in the hills.
    this was on a furd.reading your replies gave me a flashback.

5. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a brake spring break and had some brake hardware rolling around in my drum that made a similar noise.

6. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Does it happen while turning your steering wheel? May be the famous steering box frame crack.

7. 1-bad-burb

thats already been taken care of, with the weld in repair kit, basically the whole front end of the truck is new, I dont have the stock jack anymore, thats a furd for ya, even the jack will cause major problems :haha: I need to check my rear brakes, so I'll look for debris in there, but it sounds like its coming from a more central part of the truck, and keeps getting worse as time goes on.

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Hehe, I have a 78 K5 and I leave funnels and oil in front of the wheel well by the rad support. Last night I was leaving a get together and started up the rig and clunk, clunk, bing. First thing I did was think of a poor cat hiding in there for the warmt of the rad. Got out to pop the bonnet and said I wonder what kind of a mess is gonna be under there. Turned out my funnel got nailed by the fan and is now all over parking lot. Maybe I should put the fan shroud back on. :D I know this doesn't have much to do with your problem but it was funny at the time. I would take the driveshafts out and have a good look at the u joints first. And while you have them out, get someone to tow you around the block. As well as others said check the rear brakes.

9. 1-bad-burb

thats a pretty funnt story lol, and I would do that, but its hard enough to get my truck up my driveway under its own power, my driveway is a trail all in itself LOL :doah: