Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me, please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Feb 23, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

I am currently rebuilding a 400 SB. as i was pressurizing the oil, i hooked up one of those screwdriver bits for like a drill, onto a socket onto my ratchet and started pressurizing. I then stopped and then noticed that the little bit fell out. Im thinking of unbolted the oil pan and finding it, or is it really worth looking for? Im thinking it fell somewhere in the oil pan, i drained the oil but couldn't find it w/ a magnet. What is anyones suggestion? Im thinking of taking the risk of leavin it in there, but if it gets in the crank im screwed.

please, im only 16 help me,

Phill S.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well if I was rebuilding a motor and did that I'd pull the pan off and get that bit out of there. I wouldn't risk a foreign object inside a fresh motor. At the very worst it'll only take about an hour or two for some piece of mind. If ya leave it in there you'll always be wondering when its going to get caught up in something.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Yep, get it out now and never worry about it again.

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I know it sucks, but you better find it.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

TAKE THE PAN OFF AND DO NOT FIRE THE MOTOR TILL YOU FIND IT.
    And who cares if you only 16. That has nothing to do with WHO you are. As long as your not one of those kids next door to me from last night shooting fireworks nad trying to learn to play drums at freaking 11 PM last nightr.

But again, dont stop till you find that tool. You will destroy the motor if you leave that thing in there.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

If you don't , Every little noise you hear you will wonder about that little piece and what it is doing. If you know it is in the pan, you might try moving it with a magnet over to the oil drain plug hole?

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

There's also the chance it never made it down to the pan. When something falls through an engine, it makes a sound that you never forget when it hits the inside of the pan. Sure would be a shame to start the engine and have it lodge in the way of a moving part.

Smitty

8. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

ya im goin to take the oil pan off today, i tried draining the oil and putting a magnet in the pan, we'll find out where that sucker is today.

thank you

phill

and no i dont shoot fireworks and play drums at 11 pm