Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

~~HELP me PLEASE~~

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 29, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My head hurts...

A guy has a 99 Pontiac Montana for sale for $5000 (well, he went down to $5k for me). It has:

65,000 miles
    Leather interior
    CD
    cruise
    Dual sliding doors (one power)
    Power windows/locks
    Other luxury junk

He paid $15k for it in the end of 2002 (I saw his paperwork).

The motor has a lot of seepage around the gaksets and the oil pan looked kinda wet. I dunno anything about those motors, but it looked like there was a lot of oil sitting under the valve cover when I opened the filler cap.

I read a bit abotu the intake gaskets on these vans failing, and I saw some wet looking seepage around the intake where it meets the block. That, and my dad's friend actually having it fail on his lumina (same motor) and costing several grand to fix, pushed me away. Oh, and the front passenger side wheel makes noise when it rotates, I'm thinking either wheel bearing or axle...

This guy and his buddy spent 45 minutes trying to convince me to buy it after I said I changed my mind. I even went to the atm and took out $1k to give him as a deposit before I changed my mind.

The owner is leaving the country, flying back to the UK tomorrow night, and waited til the last minute to sell it, that's why it's so cheap and he's so desperate to sell.

The interior was nice, but the carpet was filthy and there were signs that it was just kind of rush-cleaned (not that that means anything).

It drove nice otherwise, a little slap in the tranny on accelleration from coast, but ok othewise I guess.

Should I buy this car?
    Should a motor be filthy and have a lot of seepage around it at 65,000 miles? Everything we looked at at dealers has been super-cleaner, and they come with a warranty.

Help me... I don't want to walk away from an awesome deal, but I don't want to get a loan and then find out I'll have to rustle up more thousands to fix a motor soon after.

Aight, second post on the evening begging for help...My circuits ain't firing properly right now I think...

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If your gut feeling was to walk away from it then don't second guess yourself. Never buy anything while under a time deadline like that, especially something with obvious flaws.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Tough call. Depends on how much you trust strangers, especially ones that are desparate and leaving the country. Hmmm.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you any proof that he is indeed leaving the country, Ratch? I've heard scams about curbers using the old "it's going to auction tomorrow" line because most people crumble under the pressure of a time limit on a deal. Scammers know what works.

As jiminy said above, trust your gut. If it's too good to be true, it usually is, brother.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Either way I'd trust the 2 situations about as far as I could throw them.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

....but a situation is an intangible thing, a mental concept, it cannot be physically thrown........

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

yeah...my point exactly.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I was pretty convinced it was a scam when I responded to the ad (I just figured hey, ya never know), but hanging out with these guys long enough convinced me they're legit. The owner at one point even showed me his airline tickets; he said "You have me, this is a buyers deal, look here are my tickets! I have to get rid of this car tonight!" He said if he can't sell it he will have to leave it with his friend here, but he's confident he can get $7000 or more for it if he does that, he will just have to have someone else sell it for him and be much more difficult.

He was going to see a guy in Jersey after me, so the car obviously does ok on distances (he drove it 40 miles down to see me).
    I left it at him calling me tomorrow morning if he doesn't sell it to the jersey guy (which I don't think he will, the jersey guy was offering $4000 cash). If he calls me in the am, maybe I'll just throw a low number at him and take it if he'll deal...

I also don't think it's a scam cause his friend was so bad at trying to explain the defects. He at one point started to tell me something about "automotive gaskets" that was totally absurd... Oh yeah, he threw in that the car drives around town so never gets time to heat up.:screwy: The owner was just kind of like :whistling: when this guy was talking...

Meanwhile, I've been walking around NYC all night with a grand in my pocket...:blush:

Man I have a headache... I HATE this!! It's below what comparable vehicles are going for, but they're being sold mostly by dealers.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree if your gut says no then follow your gut a better deal will fall into your lap soon enough don't rush it you will get stuck with something that you don't want, If the money is burning a hole you can send it to mountain explorer so he can buy my one ton:)

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Should you buy this car? HELL NO !!! RUN - do NOT walk - but RUN from this deal. Put the cash back in the bank NOW!! As was mentioned - if it sounds to good to be true ....

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ratch, listen to what people are telling you here. This deal has scam written all over it...just reading about it bent the needle off of my "hinky-meter".

As mentioned these are all ploys that often work...leaving the country, vague descriptions of defects making you feel like you know more than they do, etc, etc.

Take your grand and put it back in the bank...please!

Rene

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm just going to add this. Do you have the chance to have it inspected by a third party of your choice?

Can or have you run the history of the vehicle using Carfax or other? Do you know for a fact these guys are even the rightful owners?

Ever think that nobody in their right mind who is leaving the country is going to wait until the last day to sell his car.

Lastly, why did they bring the vehicle to you? I always get nervous if the seller has a problem with me coming to his house.

My guts tell me it's a scam...sorry to repeat myself.

rene

13. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I agree, definitely have it checked over by someone. check on title and maybe run it through carfax. There are definitely deals like this out there, but cover your a** first.

Good luck, hope you make the right decision.:)

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm Dirty motor, dirty interior, only 65K? Heeey There's somthing auffuwy screwey going on here!
    Dont Buy it. That thing has been run hard and put away wet.

If ya want a pontiac with a dirty motor and interior I will give you a great deal on my kids Bonniville. 150K miles (Barley broken in by two teenagers) It also comes with a leaky intake gasket. I'll even give you plenty of time to make up your mind. I aint going anywhere:D

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had a friend in the used car business. He had a red light (auto) on the top of his computer monitor with a switch under the desk. He would bring customers who were waffling or unsure to his office to "inquire" about financing.

Of course they would finance anyone with a job so after about 10 minutes of "working" on the "financing" he would hit the switch. The light would come on. he would announce with much relief that the financing was "locked in" but only for about a half hour.

Never lost one once the light was on. Looks like someone might have turned the light on for you.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know it has a lot of signs of a scam, but it also seems very legit. I went into it analyzing every word they said to piece it into a conspiracy, and as we talked more, the pieces fit better with a legit deal than a con job. His wirey little friend struck me as a con man, but the seller was honest and obviously desperate. They offered to take it to a shop and have it checked out, he offered me the best garauntee he could (but admitted knowing it wouldn't mean much to me), his wiley little friend offered me a buyback garauntee and they said they'll put everything on paper.

I dunno now guys... I talked to another buddy of mine who used to be a GM mechanic, and he said the motor sounded normal for the miles, but he didn't know anything about the intake gasket signs or reputation.

I know you guys are all pointing against it, but I'm thinking if I buy this car for $5000 today, find something I don't like about it tomorrow, I can still probably get the $5k on trade-in with a dealer.
    I think I'm going to call him and see if he sold it to the jersey guy, and if not offer him $4500 for it today.

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

like everyone said don't do it RATCH. gut instincts are always right. but i'm sure the feeling of losing a out on a great deal is hard to shake. daryl

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

He didn't go down to 5k for you , he went down to 5k because he thought you'd bite . Don't do it man :deal:

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Do it Ratch, I wanna hear all the "I told ya sos"....:grin: From my experience, when someone is trying to do you a favor or cut you a deal, their actually trying to bend you over....:crazy:

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well, I did it.

We own it for $5k, I've spent the day running around... I took it to the guy that does all my inspections (family friend, great friend of my uncle's), and he gave me two thumbs up on it.
    He said:
    - it *will* need the intake gasket only because the 3.4's always need them eventually, but this one shows no sign of it right now (he also said it was a $500-$600 job, not thousands)
    - engine looks normal
    - makes no bad noises
    - Will need the tire, brakes or bearing done on the passnger side front, the thump is from one of them, and he said each will cost about the same to fix (I know it needs front tires in a year anyway)
    - everything else is in working order and looks good.

I left it in his hands, basically I said:
    "Would you buy this for $5k, and would you trust it driving around your wife and kids?"
    He said "Make the deal!"

I feel good about it, I gave him a cashiers check, so he had to prove his identity to the bank. I have all his U.S. info and several U.K. phone numbers, as well as his U.S. friends number.

I permit you guys to say I told you so if it lasts less than a year! I'm hoping it lasts us more than 5 years, though.

BTW, the kicker that got it really seriously back into consideration was that I looked on ebay and two local classifieds (and a dozen online) this am, and couldn't find one less than $8900, and some of them going for more looked worse with higher miles.

I think I'm going to take it to a dealer tomorrow just to see what they'd offer me on trade-in...