Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Prime, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Prime

Prime Registered Member

I have a 1984 Chevy Pickup 4x4 desiel, with a 700r4 tranny. My problem is the transmission will not shift out of low, the motor just reves out. I have changed the filter and fluids but nothing. If anyone has any input, please let me know what you think it might be. Thanks.

2. 85jimmy3/4ton

85jimmy3/4ton Registered Member

my guess would be a stuck valve in the body does it slip in gear?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Govenor gear...

If you have only reverse and first gear,and it wont shift up into the higher gears,its probably the nylon gear on the govenor that stripped its teeth...its located under a round cover on the side of the tranny--I've never removed one from a 700R4,but it should be the same as or similar to the TH350 ones I've changed...you need to gently pry the cover off(some have a spring wire like a master cylinder has to hold it on)..

Once the cover is off,you just slide the governor out,and see if the gear is boogered..if so,there is your problem!--get another govenor with a good gear from a junkyard and slice it back in,and use a bit of RTV on the cover to help prevent leaks--it has an "O" ring thats seals it to the tranny case--dont cut it or it will leak!..

My 81 van had the govenor gear stripped when I bought it!(only had reverse and first gear! :doah: )--I got it for 500 bucks when it was 9 years old,because the previous owner thought the tranny was junk!...its not a bad vehicle to put a tranny in,so I bought it!--but I found the stripped gear before yanking the tranny--replaced it,and I've driven it 45,000 miles since--no problems! :laugh: ...

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know if this is true with a 700r4, but once with a TH400 and once with a TH350 I've forgotten to hook-up the vacuum line to the vacuum modulator on the tranny. It won't shift out of first on those transmissions.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I agree that governor gear is the most likely culprit. If you do get another governor, don't use it unless it is from another diesel. Just swap the gear onto your old governor. There is just a roll pin to press out. You should also be able to get a new gear from a tranny shop or a GM dealer. Actually, I think the conversion of a diesel 700R4 to a gas one is pretty much just a governor swap.

As for the vacuum line, don't waste your time looking. A 700 doesn't have one. It uses a TV cable instead. If that wasn't hooked up, you would upshift REALLY early.

The other likely culprit is that the Throttle Valve in the tranny is stuck. You would have to reach the WOT upshift rpm to get it into second. You may be able to free it just by dropping the pan and "messing" with this valve (it's the one with the cable going to it, not the one on the opposite side with the shift linkage going to it.) However, if it is stuck, that is probably a sign of some junk circulating through the tranny, which is never a good sign. The 1-2 relay valve could also cause this problem, but usually the TV is the first one to stick since it doesn't have a return spring.

6. Prime

Prime Registered Member

thanks guys

thanks for your guys help on this problam, i am going to give it a shot and hope to god thats what is the problam. Thanks again guys.

7. Stixx

Stixx Newbie

It sounds stupid!

I know that it doesn't sound good, but try it anyway. It worked on my 700r4. Some time some trash gets stuck in the valve body. Run it up in drive to about five mph, the shift it to reverse. it will probably kill the engine, start it back, and see if it shifts. that is unless yours trys to shift into second and you get a horrid grinding noise. That is your sun gear. just rebuild.

8. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

i had a similar problem that i asked about in another post and i was refered to this thread, not trying to hijack since it is the same issue ;) my truck (th350) will only move in L1 and reverse. when i put it in L2 or Drive it just revs up and doesnt get any power to the wheels.

so here is where im at.....

ok, so i found out that when i was towing my k5 home from my fuel system problem my girlfriend unintentionally shifted the truck from N to park and then back right away :eek1: becuase it made " a silly noise " :doah: while coasting to a stop uphill at about 5- 10 miles per hour, i am going to try the governer gear replacement that you suggested. so the question is, is it screwed inlight of this new finding or could the nylon gear still be the culpret?
    thanks very much for all the help :bow: . again this site is saving my wallet and stress level, everytrime i think the k5 is screwed it ends up not being to bad at all with this sites help. :bow: