Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me solve my delima.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay I have never asked a delima question like this, as I have always been exactly sure of what I wanted to do, but not now. So here goes.

I am buying a good cadillac 500 engine from a guy just because the price is right and I can't turn it down.

But now im going to have this caddy motor laying around. Soooooo

My better half says put the caddy motor in the Blazer, but there is no way I would ever unswap my swapped in diesel in the Blazer so thats out.

I thought I could put it in my tow rig, but I just have dropped in a freshly rebuilt 350 that does an excellent job of pulling, and gets better gas mileage than a 500 would. Though it would be nice to have a hot rod tow rig.

Then theres my new trail truck project. S10 body on a k5 frame. Its currently got a beat 350 in it that is gonna need replacement before too long. I thought about putting the caddy motor in it, but it's gonna have a welded 10 bolt in the front and I am going for light and reliable in this rig so a 500 cid caddy motor sounds like broken parts. Also I have enough parts that I can assemble a mild reliable 350 to drop right in place of the beat one thats in there now.

Theres option three of course... I keep telling myself that im not going to aquire any more projects, but I know better than that, so I could just let it be a conversation piece in the garage untill I drag up something else to put it in.

I thought I would have solved my own delima after typing this all out, and I could just erase this message, but I still want your input. If you were me what would you do and why?

2. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Caddy 500

If my memory serves me right the 500 didn’t weigh much more than a SBC, it just looks like it.

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Stick the 500 caddy in the s10. Hardly any weight difference that I am aware of.

4. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

500 vs 350

I just checked some other web sites and it looks like the 500 weighs about 50 pounds more than the 350.

5. Robert79K5

I knew the caddy wasnt too much heavier than the sbc. Its all that extra power that concerns me.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Trade it for a turbo set-up for your 6.2...:waytogo:

Rene

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have one too..and dont know what to do with it!

I "inherited" a 76 500 Caddy motor about 4 years ago,when a friend moved,and had to get it out of his dads garage--he told me its mine 2 years ago,if I wanted it! :bow: :D --its still sitting in my shed,sleeping, until I decide what to use it in,or what to do with it..

I nearly put it in my 79 C10 when its 250 six died,but I opted for a 305 --cheaper,and easier to install,and I knew gas was going to be costlier soon then--I was right,and don't regret not using it--I felt it was a waste to have all that power in a 1/2 ton you cant pull or carry heavy anything in,so why have all that power?--plus I'd have to invent motor mounts,change the oil pan,pump,adapt the tranny,driveshafts,etc..I wasn't into all that..

I am keeping it only in case my 6.2 croaks in my 82--but the more I think about swapping it in there,the more I'm inclined to keep it a diesel..the fuel milage is hard to beat,and I don't know if the Caddy motor will run good after sitting this long..it might smoke or somthing now!,and I dont feel like fooling with motor mounts and oil pans and pumps,etc..If my back gets any worse,I might just sell or junk everything--I'm finding it difficult to do motor swaps(more like nearly impossible!),or anything more than a tune up lately..I'd be better off to sell it,or trade for a 6.2 or a 350 motor that runs decent probably.

I dont know if a 500 would fit between the fenders in an S-10--they are pretty wide motors..I know it wont fit in my 81 G10 van,I tried when I took the 250 out of it 4 years ago.... :rolleyes: :crazy:

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Put the Caddy in the S-10. Install a sthrottle stop and a rev limit tach to keep temptation away.

9. Robert79K5

No way on Gods green earth that I could know that power was there and keep myself from using it. :haha:

I would love to get a crew cab or a 3/4 burban to put it in but the cost in gas would be insane.

Im actually thinking about going the street rod route with this motor. I just ned to find a suitable car for it. :D

10. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

It'd make a great coffee table until u need it. Steam clean it, paint it, polish the chromey bits, a set of short headers like a dragster has and fix a sheet of glass to the top. Put it in your lounge. One day you will find a use for it on the road. in the meantime it keeps the beer off the floor.