Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me spend $1500 on my K5!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koldsimer, Dec 11, 2005.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What does everyone think I should do with $1500 for the blazer? I want to lock the front with a detroit but I know i'll start busting 30 spline outers as soon as it's locked. I was thinking about 4340 35 spline axles with CTM's or Longfields, detroit and warn 35 spline hubs. This is about 1500-1600 by my estimates. If I did this, I would not be able to get hydro assist just yet. I already have non-neckdown inners and I was thinking of just going 35 outers w/warn hubs and spicer joints with the detroit. This would save about $500 and allow me to run hydro assist with all top notch stuff. One concern is that ctm's and chromo shafts might be overkill since i'm still running lockout hubs. I'm definately sick of steering boxes breaking and leaving me stranded so that kinda makes me lean to the latter of the two options. But with chromos and ctm's, I would be nearly unbreakable up front. Ah, what to do?

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

id go with the spicer joints and 35 outers. look into a northwest fab kit or a 4wd facotry kit. i think they run about 400$ for everyting you need for 35 spline. that will leave you with a good amount to do hydro-assist and some other stuff.
    what part of tx are you in?

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As soon as I start thinking that way, the thought of busting axles pops into my head. Thanks for the input. I'm just north of Dallas.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would definetly go CTM's and chromo's.

5. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Invest in a winch first! Locked or not, you are still going to get stuck.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Yes, but that is where I come in.

Thanks again for getting my boy unstuck.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Look in the vendors section for Kyle. He's working for WMS now and had a special up on 4340 60 shafts for around $500.. That should save you some cash! Add in CTM's and you ma have enough left over for hydro assist!