Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me spend some money

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Apr 24, 2004.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Ok the summer seasons coming up so it's time to go wheeling. I just finished my 77 about a month ago 6in lift 35x12.0 bfg mud terrains, as well as some other little things. Anyway it's time to start getting stuck and I wanted some suggestions on what everyone uses to get out. what type and size straps, ropes, chains whatever should i look to get

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do you have a winch?

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

no winch
    I have hooks front and rear

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Save up for a winch. Straps and chains will only help someone that has a winch help you. If you get chains, get grade 7 or higher /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Buy a winch, you can get a Warn 8k or a MM12k for around $600

Straps, big, wide, long

Don't use chains for any yanking, wanna a pic of a chain flying through the air and busting my truck?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Buy a winch, you can get a Warn 8k or a MM12k for around $600

Straps, big, wide, long

Don't use chains for any yanking, wanna a pic of a chain flying through the air and busting my truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can still use chains, you just have to make sure there in good condition with no cuts or anything. If you use Grade 8 alloy chain, it will stretch before it actually snaps. I don't mean to argue just saying my .02 cents /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the input. yeah i know alll about chains busting and doing some damage. thats why i'm looking more towards what kind of strap to get i'm think at min 0f 4in but more likly a 6inx30ft.

yeah if you've got a pic of the carnage let's see it

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Chains are for transports, not wheelin. The only thing a chain is useful for, is for wrapping around a rock for a dead man point. Get straps. Much easier to carry around a 10lb strap than a 60lb chain. But the bigger is better theory doesn't apply here.

A strap is designed to stretch then coil back up. If you get a really wide strap(5" or 6") then you have to have a really heavy weight(ie: bulldozer) to get it to stretch. Think of one of those real big rubberbands, it takes much more pulling to get those to stretch than the ones that come on newspaper. Stick with 3" or 4" widths and the length is up to you. I carry two 3" straps, one is 30ft and the other is 40ft. Only bad thing about straps is that they get damaged easily, so keep an eye on them for wear and try to keep them out of the sun....

Other than that you need a Hi-lift and a winch. Once you get a winch, you will make many new friends...all of which will have your name and number etched on their dashboards. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks
    yeah a winch is definitly on my list.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hell i have seen pics of dents and broken glass due to snaped straps, but chains bad too.
    last night when i whenout too late in the dark, and had to tow my buddys jeep,i used a shot strap and a chain. i just put a smaller shackle on my truck so if it gose then its eating his pos cj-7 and not my burb.