Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me stop my oil leak (any thoughts on a silicone gasket)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Apr 12, 2006.

?

you should...

1. use silicone (specify type)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. listen to my idea b/c it's better than yours (specify)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. get naked and take a leak.

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. so i just got my rebuilt engine on my truck and on the road and i've got a pretty severe oil leak - i've leaked about half a quart in almost 500 miles. :eek1: there are three leaks - one from the front of the oil pan, one from the rear, and one from the oil cooler lines. the oil cooler lines i can take care of - no big deal.

in regard to the oil pan, however...
    when i installed the oil pan, i used the gasket in my gasket kit - it was just one of those flimsy paper-like gaskets. i'm wondering if that's my problem. should i drop the pan and use silicone instead? it's frustrating b/c it's about time for it's first oil change (only got 50 miles to go) and i'm going to install amsoil - too spendy to be wasting on asphalt!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

not sure if they make them for 6.2's but i love the 1 pieces rubber ones;)

3. colbystephens

i wasn't aware that they made rubber ones. what's the advantage to the rubber over other options?

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

You probably over tightened the bolts fudging the gasket. Either get a new paper gasket and be carefull not to overtighten or get one of those nice rubber ones. I like those way better, they have metal rings in the holes to prevent over tightening and they are reuseable.

5. colbystephens

i think it's very likely that i overtightened b/c i didn't have a torque wrench for that low torque (my big torque wrench is a POS too. :() i'll check on the rubber gasket. in the event that one isn't available for my 6.2 application, any thoughts on the silicone?

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

thats it? thats not a leak. my 305 loses a little more than a quart every 200 miles or less.

7. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

ya, same here. I've lost...let's see...I don't know, like 2 or 3 quarts in maybe, MAYBE, 200 miles. But I burn a lot of it, and a lot of it went everywhere while I was wheeling. :rolleyes: But what ev, I'm going to drop a 454 in soon anyway. :D And as far as the gasket goes, I'd personally run a rubber one, but I'd think the silicone should work fine.

8. colbystephens

see, that's gonna get rather expensive since i'm running amsoil tho! ;) any thoughts on the silicone?

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I guess silcone would work but I wouldnt use it personally, Id be afraid I would squish it down and a piece would come off and then Id have a piece of trash in the crankcase..Thats just me though

10. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

if you feel like risking getting silicone in your oil and into your crankcase, then you can try it.

personally, the rubber gasket sounds like a good idea

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You were supposed to put some RTV in the corners just like you do with the intake manifold, bet thats where your leak is coming from,,,,,the corners.

12. colbystephens

those are two things i was entirely unaware of! it's a good thing i didn't do it on my intake manifold - yet, b/c i had to take it off and put it back on about 5 times during the rebuild. :yikes: do you think i could get away w/ dropping the pan and doing that? i think i am leaking from the corners on the rear - don't know for sure on the front - it's hard to tell w/ that crossmember. if i drop the pan and can avoid ruining the gasket, does the rtv go under or on top of the paper gasket?

13. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Second that one I have had zero problems since I replaced mine with rubber gaskets....

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the gasket will be shot.. if your going thru the trouble of dropping the pan, have a new set on hand.. and anytime your using a multipiece gasket, you always need to add a dab of silicone to the corners.. but if they make the rubber one-piece with metal ringlets one for your diesel, i'd get that, they work sweet... no silicone required.. no idea if its droppable for you with the x-member...

15. colbystephens

i know it can be taken off. it is a one piece gasket - but it is like a big U shape - open at the rear of the engine. i'll try a new one w/ some silicone.

16. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Two words: Ultra Black. It's made by permatex and comes in a black tube. It's like tar if you get it on you or your clothes. When I tore down my motor b/c of spun bearing when I bought my truck:angry1: , the guy before me used that ultra black and the motor only had about 200 miles on it and I could barely get the dang thing apart! Not to mention trying to scrape it off of parts to reassemble the engine. I've used it on a buddy's rear end on his camaro to seal it up and we didn't even use a gasket and it's been about a year and it still hasn't leaked. I used it on my whole motor in conjunction with the gaskets (except on the heads) and have had no problem. It only has a work life of about 15 minutes though (depending on temperature) so you have to work fast. But I swear by that stuff.

Edit: you can use it on oil and water passages.

17. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I didn't read any further because this is what I was going to say. I bought the 1-piece for my 350 and it is the best gasket I have ever bought. A little spendy, IIRC ~$33. Hasn't leaked from the oil pan since it was installed. I used a Felpro unit.