Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me STOP...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moe boost, Jan 17, 2004.

1. moe boost

moe boost Newbie

I have a 1970 GMC 1/2 ton sierra grande 4x4. I am not sure what type axle I have. Truck has drum brakes in front and rear, with no power booster. I plan on adding the booster and want to change to disk brakes, People are telling me I need to find some dana44 axles from a later model truck to be able to use the calipers and disks from that.... I am still learning about this truck, how should I make the switch from drum to disk? Some of the prices I have heard for the Dana 44's seem like I could buy a couple of trucks at that price

2. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Fill out your user profile and most likely there is someone near you who has a axle for sale or the parts you need for cheap.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

easiest way is to do a full swap on the front. find the ratio you have or will end up wanting and swap it in.
    if you got the cash, and know you will be running large tires start thinking right into a dana 60. larger tires meaning 38's and up. a lot of the guys on here are going to say taht anyway. but its only needed if you plan on wheeling the wee out of it and are going big for tires.
    Grant

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Scrap the axle. D44's for that truck are cheap. 70 was also a small u-joint axle. You can pick up axles for around $300. Hell Colmans has NEW axles from around $400 with calipers. http://www.colemans.com/
    Check the Forsale section here as well as at www.pirate4x4.com There is a half dozen axles for sale right now. There was some nice 3.73 geared ones on one of these sites on your coast.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site...
    I 2nd the change the axel theory. Most likely the cheapest/easiest way. I think your gonna want a 76-78 d44 though. I may not be correct on exact years. pre 73?? have smaller axel u-joints, and pre 76?? have smaller wheel bearings.I think those are the years. Can somebody verify?

6. moe boost

moe boost Newbie

Appreciate the tips.... I am going to start looking..... you guys say the pre '73 has smaller U joints, so maybe I need to think abou swapping the rear huh? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

well that might be an idea too but the whole u-joint thing is going to be in your front driveline you will need to get it fitted to fit the other size u-joing in the front if you swap out the axel if you get a 44 out of a 73 to 78 model they are cheap and easy to come buy and get parts for so that might be the way to go.