Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me take the sm465 shifter off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 20, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I know it must not be too hard, but I can't see how too take the shifter out.
    What I'm doing is removing the 350, the 465, and the 205 from my truck. The 205 has one bolt holding the shift lever on, looks like no big deal.
    But the 465 is a bit more complex. Is the shifter going to be impossible to put back together when I remove all the linkages, rods, springs, etc.?
    Also, am I crazy to try to take the entire 350/465/205 out together as one piece? I know when you have an auto it all comes out together, so this will be ok to pull it all together right?
    -- Mike

BTW, I need to do this tomorrow... :) Wish me luck.

2. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

If you are just trying to take the shift lever off, then push down on the metal cap at the base of the lever and turn it to the left. It will clear the roll pins in the housing and pop up and the whole thing will just pull out. There are not a bunch of springs/rods etc.. to worry about. If it has not been off in a long time you may need to use a pair of pliers. Personally I would at least drop the 205 before I tried to pull the engine and tranny out. That is a lot of cast iron hanging out there.

3. bennett

bennett Registered Member

If your taking the top of the tranny off you will need to shift into reverse and then take it halfway out ( so its 1/2 way into the reverse postition.) halfway in-halfway out and then you can lift the shift forks out. same way goin back in.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

In case anyone is wondering, I managed to get the 350/465/205 out all as one unit! I didn't even have to take off the core support.
    I rented an engine hoist from the local tool supply here and it's a pretty big hoist. With the heavy 205 pointing almost straight down, the hoist managed to lift it all high enough to clear the front.
    Yes, it still had on the axle, tires fully inflated, and 6" lift springs!
    It's sitting in the driveway now for me to drop in new truck. Also then get to swap axles and truck bed... Lotta work.
    Thanks guys for the tip about the shifter - it came off after about 5 minutes of wrangling with it. The cluth linkage was not too bad either afetr i figured out how to unbolt the Z-bar (is that what it's called?)
    I really need to hurry up, I've got to work on Thanksgiving and I'll need to return the hoist tomorrow...
    -- Mike