Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me talk my mom into letting me finish this truck!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been trying to combine a couple of parts around here. My mom says the truck will look like crap and won't be street-worthy. I don't agree with her, and I've already dropped big money into having the tranny rebuilt for it. Help me convince her that it won't be a POS!

FYI, this truck is called the "beater truck." I've been combining an 87 K5 frame, an 85 cab, and a 73 K20. I have cut the frame off flush after the rear spring hangers, so in all I have roughly a 4' bed....just enough for my spare and my fuel cell. I have done the redneck shackle flip in the rear and plan to add 4" springs up front. I currently have 35" SSR's on it that were given to me.

Here's the kicker. My mom just dropped $1500 on a rebuilt engine for me. That's great for my 87 K5 that I'm working on, but everything else in the truck is FAR behind. I still have to get the Caddy calipers on, rear driveshaft shortened, ORD shackle flip on, springs up front, paint, interior, and other little detail things that add up in the long run, not to mention install the pedals and my 465/205. I ONLY HAVE UNTIL AUGUST 20TH TO FINISH IT!!!

I already have the drivetrain for the beater truck assembled and ready to install. I just have to build a crossmember for the tranny and the rear of the cab. It would take about a week of work to finish. Oh yeah, and put brakes and bearings on the front axle and run a new brake line to the rear axle.

WHICH DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO!!!! TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Stop typing and get to work!!!

You got plenty of time man.... just make sure you don't wast any days. Tranny should take less than an hour with help, transfer case is about the same... the rest is simple, just takes energy and time... a Month is plenty.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

time isn't really my issue, it's money. i make an average of $200 a week. i would make more, but me being a volunteer fireman, i come and go and i can't always be at work. roughly $70 of that goes to my monthly cell bill, $20-25 a week for lunch, $3 a day roughly for smokes, about $30 a week in gas, then whatever little odds and ends i need. so if i make about $800-900 a month, i may only get to keep $400-500 of it.

i can't finish this truck with a MAXIMUM of $500. but i could finish the beater and have something to drive to school for maybe $200.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

1st, give up smoking and put that money towards the truck.

Then get on it and get it finished!

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

give up smoking?! then i would have nothing to keep me occupied when i'm bored.....haha.

yeah i need to quit, but it isn't going to make that much of a difference in that short of a time.

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yah, but what better motivation than your truck to help you quit?
    $21 a week adds up quick.....

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Bring your lunch! Cut down or stop smoking a pack a day is to much!!!!!

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I agree... pack ramen noodles for lunch (sp? only like $.40 each) and quit smoking.... that will save ya...

also any pics of the truck?
    I am wanting to cut my bed off like you did... and also want to put a crew cab on so I will have like a 2' bed :haha:

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

$70 for a cell phone??? I'd dump that in a heartbeat. Do you really need one?
    I'v managed to live my whole life without one. I can function quite well in modern society without one. I really done see a need for one. Either that or get a 30.oo a month cell deal and talk less :D
    Smoking also sucks! QUIT! While you are young and still can. Before you have to put out money for an oxygen bottle and a little cart too.
    There's $100 more you have a month for giving up 2 useless items.

Maby if you give up a few things to show her you are serious about your truck. Your Mom will help you out with some $$$. Sometimes we all have to make sacrifices.

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I don't think it matters how much you cut back on lunch, cel phone or smokes this month, you're never gonna save enough to finish this by Aug. 20. What happens Aug. 20, school? Can't you continue to save and work on it during the school year?

Eric M.

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

yep i'm going back to school. if i don't have it finished, i have to drive her second car which needs an alignment, burns oil, overheats unless you use the A/C, the rear suspension is messed up, needs some tires, has 174,000 miles on it and it's a cadillac. oh yeah, and it needs some body work. BUT IT DOES HAVE FLOWMASTERS ON IT!

either way, it's a POS. that's why I want to get the beater truck finished since i'm so close and I would be happy driving it.

12. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

it sounds like you know what you need to do. get to work. if your mom sees you working on this thing every minute of the day, she'll see how commited you are and maybe help you out. sometimes parents will cut you some clack if they see you working really hard on somethng you're passionate about.

oh yeah, quit smoking and eat cheap lunches.