Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me to decide how to lift my truck.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jan 16, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have all the equipment to lift my truck higher. I was thinking of going with the 6” springs and 1” zero rate up front, 4” shackle-flip and 4” lift block in the rear (I know what everybody thinks of blocks, but I does not matter because the truck is only used for mall cruising and light fire road wheeling). Or I could go with 6” springs only on the front, and the 4” shackle-flip with a 3” lift block on the rear.

The biggest tires I want to put on it is a 36/14.00/16. I do not like the look of stuffing the absolute biggest tires under it I can get. The truck already has a 1” body lift on it. The truck currently has 4” lift front, 5” lift rear, and the 1” body lift, with 35” tires.

List of parts I have available to work with.
    • 6” lift front springs
    • 1” Zero rate
    • 4” Shackle flip
    • Factory Rear springs
    • 4” lift block
    • 3” lift block
    • 1” Body Lift
    [​IMG]

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If I had that truck and were going to use it as you say I wouldn't change it. It already looks like a fine ride. Blocks with a shackle flip souds kind of scary to me

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i currently have 9" lift and 35s. i agree about not stuffing the biggest tire under it, especially if the body is actually in good shape. if its not, then might as well cut away

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

it looks pretty nice how it is... go out and put together a cheap rig.. with the wheelbase of a short box.. and use that as a bad ass tow rig...

i want a truck exactally like that one in your pic for a tow rig..

5. 1-ton

Well, the problem is that I already have spent about $600 for all the stuff I have to raise this truck higher, and I already have a tow rig. It is a 1985 K-30 Dually, with a 454.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  6. BIGRED74K20

BIGRED74K20 Registered Member

lift

i just recently put a new lift on my 74 k20, using 6" tuff country ez rides with 1" ORD zero rates and ORD shackles in front and 4" ORD shackle flip with 4" tapperd blocks in rear. but the rear sits up quite higher tho because of the ez rides spring rate. prior to the new lift i had 4" tuff country springs and 4 blocks, oh yah 3" body too. the ride difference is way smoother, compared to the old setup. i have not had any problems with the blocks tho. ive been out in the mud and rocks and everything seems to be fine. but i am probably gonna make longer front shackles just to bring it up a hair tho. if you were to do this setup i would use a higher spring rate springs in front. these are 38.5" bogs and they look too small

CircusZoo 016.jpg

CircusZoo 006.jpg

7. 1-ton

This is good info because the springs I am going to put under my truck are Tuff Country EZ rides too. I may have to go with my Tuff Country and zero rates up front, with my 4" shackle flip and 3" blocks instead, in order for it to ride level.

8. BIGRED74K20

BIGRED74K20 Registered Member

at first i wanted the back higher so when i towed or hauled something it wouldnt look goofy but its kinda up to u

9. 1-ton

How did your driveshafts work with this lift you have? I am anticipating having to do some modifications (such a longer shafts, and clearance grinding the front drive shafts double cardan joint) on my drive shafts.

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude, those are some sweet looking trucks. I wouldnt change either of them. Find a cheap GM and hook it up to warp. Not those two lookers.

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Man that's a tough problem, I can't imagine having to decide which of my many lift parts to use one which one of my perfectly straight one-tons.:rolleyes:

J/K I hope you get it set up just how you want it. And don't let these rust belt guys tell you that you can't jack-up a perfectly straight truck. Yes, I'd probably cry, but hey it's your truck, right. Besides, your just lifting it not planning some outrageous sawzall party. I don't have any enlightening info to share, just wanted to voice my support, so I'll shut up now. Oh, but post up picks when your done, OK? :bow:

12. 1-ton

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

13. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

How about just a zero rate for the front and back.

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

with that long of a wheelbase, you prolly wont have to do any driveshaft mods. im running the stock shaft up front with 9" lift moved forward 1.5", the d60 pinion is a bunch longer than the 10b that i had before, so i lucked out :-)

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have 6" of lift on my crew cab and both shafts were fine. The front shaft needed some trimming of the "stops" on the CV joint but since I don't wheel it I'm not overly worried about it's operating angle.

16. 1-ton

Since your truck is the same exact truck as mine, then mine should not have too much problem iether. Do you have a body lift on your truck?

I have decided to go a little more conservitive, and only lift my Crew Cab 6" in the front and 7" in the back. With the 1" body lift it already has, this should be enough. I will probably Buy myself another set of zero rates, and with the 1" zero rates I already have, install them on my 1-ton dually. My dually already has a 1" body lift, so the 1" zero rates will make it 2" of lift. This would be the highest I would go with that dually.