Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me w/ Basic Maint.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 3, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I just bought a K5 very recently.
    Can you guys give me some info on basic maintanece. Like how much oil does the K5 take? 5quarts?
    How do you flush the radiator, how do you change gear oil in the rear end and in the tranny (got a SM465)
    etc etc.
    Thanks guys

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

OK here we go:

OIl capacity depends on what motor you have, and whether or not a previous owner has installed a high capacity oil pan. If you're not sure, a good trick to use is to measure your used oil(from the pan & filter) and then round up to the next quart. Chances are, however, that your engine takes 5 quarts. Don't use FRAM filters- they're garbage. Use GM or Napa oil filters instead.

To properly flush the cooling system, go to a local parts store and buy a flush kit- it will have a tee fitting that you install into one of your heater hoses. Follow the instructions and clean the sytem out. If your rad is in bad shape internally, take it out and take it to a rad shop to be professionally cleaned.

Gear oil is a cinch- Unbolt the diff cover and drain the fluid. Remove the fill plug. Get a can of BrakeKleen and spray the crap out of the inside of the housing. I use a whole spray can per diff. Before you reinstall the diff cover, do a thorough job of cleaning ALL the old gasket material off of both faces. Using UltraBlue Permatex, run a 1/4" bead around the diff cover face, making sure to go around each bolt hole. Let the silicone dry for a couple of minutes and bolt it back to the diff evenly. Fill the diff back up until the gear oil starts to drip out the diff. Reinstall the plug and you're done!!!

I can't speak for the standard tranny in particular, but a tranny service is basically like an oil change without the drain plug. Unbolt the tranny pan, drain the fluid, change the filter, bolt the pan back on and refill the tranny.

Good luck, bro'!!!!

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

3. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

go out and buy a Haynes or Chilton manual, the Haynes manual # for your rig is 420.
    lots of info in both, someone always likes one or the other better. just start slow and soon you'll know your rig like the back of your hand!
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<a target="_blank" href=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</a>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would also reccommend getting a new trans pan with a drain plug in it. It makes it alot easier and cleaner of a job doing maint. on it. You can get a deep one to add a couple of qts. to help keep it cooler too.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK fella's he has the SM 465...no pan.

There are two plugs on the SM 465, the lower one is for draining and the upper one is fill/check. Pretty simple, unbolt the lower plug and drain the old 90W gear lube into a pan. When its empty re-install the lower plug and fill it through the upper plug hole until the level of the gear lube is just about even with the top hole.
    The crappy part is there is no fill tube or easy way to use a funnel for filling it up. I use a filler doodad that screws onto the 1 quart bottles and then juust squeeze the oil into the tranny. Its still tedious, but it works.
    A chilton's or Haynes will have a capacity chart, that will tell you how much oil, coolant etc that your truck uses for each component.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It's a 350 V8, stock, no mods on it.
    BTW, how good are KN OIL filters?
    I thought Fram was good? Oh well what about AC delco?
    Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, KN filter, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

7. tRustyK5

A stock 350 should take 5 quarts with a filter.
    I'm sure the K&amp;N filters are good, they have a good rep for filters. I stay away from Fram as well. AC Delco is also a decent filter from what I've read.

Rene

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

DOH!!!!!! No pan on a manual tranny..........[​IMG]??? I guess I should do a little more research every now and then, eh?[​IMG]

Thanks, Rene, I learned something today!!!!!

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

9. tRustyK5

Its only obvious if you own a SM 465...[​IMG]

Rene

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The K&amp;N Filters better be good...at $10 a wack they can add up! I am waiting for the word back from the guy who did the oil filter testing on the K&amp;N. I am using them on my Diesel right now. Going to try an AC Delco next. Then I am going to play with the WIX filters from NAPA.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!