Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me win a K5 related argument

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Oct 22, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK, this little jerkwad dude that I work with is always dissing on Blazers since I have one. The guy is a total pansy and drives a Honda, all lowered and crap. Anyways he told me today that a 78-79 fullsize Bronco was wayyy tougher than any K5 was. We MUST prove him wrong. Anyone have exact horsepower and torque specs to compare the 350 with a 351 from the Donco? Did the Broncos also have NP205's sometimes? Anyways, lets hear some good, solid facts so I can lay the smackdown on this guy's candyass. Thanks

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I don't really know much about broncos, but this guy probably doesn't know too much either. I'm guessing you could make something up and win. After all, he drives a honda, what does he know about broncs?

90K5

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the specs on the 351 or 350, but a friend of mine has a 79 Bronco. He had the 351 in it and he sad that it was one of the most gutless engines he had ever seen. He built a 460 to 390 hp to replace it. His Bronco is one of the best trucks I have ever seen. It is tough, but no way tougher than any K%.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just use the same logic on him, tell him Toyota's are buil better than Honda's and if that doesn't work, lock it in 4-low and drive over that wheel chock he calls a Honda. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Fullsize Bronco was Fords answer to the K5. I beleive the 351 in question was the 351M which was a real dog.
    78 and 79 Broncos would have had the same NP 203 as the Chev. At least I seem to recall that Chev, Dodge and Ford all used the NP203 from 73-79. Front and rear diffs are about the same strength, both would have used the Dana 44 front, and the 9" rear and the 12 bolt are comparable. Tranny's? TH350 or C6, two good tranny's. Body wise? Well they both had their problems with rust, so no clear winner there. As usual it comes down to personal preference. I prefer the K5 (well duh!!![​IMG]).
    Lets put it this way, the 78 and 79 Broncos were not a bad truck, but can you find one? They only made them for 2 years, in 1980 they went to the TTB front-end and ruined a good truck.
    At least Chevy knew it had a good thing and built the K5 with a solid Front end for 18 years (second gen).
    At least Chevy had the good sense to build a motor with a distributor in the back where it belongs! Every time I wheel with Ford guys we spend too much time drying out distributors.
    Thats my 2 cents. The Ford is not WAYY stronger than the Chev. but then again the Chev is not WAYY stronger than the Ford.

[​IMG]

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Tell him that fords answer to the 350 was the 351 so they would be bigger, but they dont know how to build engines so its a dog anyway.

90K5

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In 1980 I bought a brand new F-150, 4WD with the 351M in it. Crummiest pile-o-$h!t I've ever owned in my life. It couldn't get out of its own way and managed to get a whopping 7 miles per gallon on the highway.

The 351M was gutless. I was on a 20 degree grade in Utah, somewhere just about tree line. Let's say 10,500 to 11,000 feet. In low range, the truck would NOT move up the hill. The engine would moan, but it couldn't make enough power to make the truck start moving. It was just fighting the torque converter. I had to head back down the mountain.

Ford's of that era had some good parts under them. 9-inch rear and a reverse rotation Dana 44 up front. The C6 tranny is almost bomb proof. It's more along the lines of GM's Turbo 400. Sold that rig in '81 and picked up a '72 Blazer. Been in love with Blazers ever since. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a bud with 4 78-79 bronco's and I wheel with the guy often. I really don't have much bad to say about them. They are a pretty even match for a K5 of the same vintage...sorry but it's true. Also as far as I have been able to find all the 78-79 bronco's had 205's. Every Ford I have ever seen in those years did. I have read that Ford ran the 203 but I have as yet to see one. Down side on the ford is they like eating the bushings on the control arms, Upside is they had 9 inch rears (really a good axle and most GM folks have to admit that). They had 205's and a D44 reverse cut front axle. Drive line they are just as good as our trucks. C6 seems as tough as a TH350 and say what you want but GM's engines were dogs in those years also. That was due to all the emisions crap and the oil issues of the time.
    I like the other guys idea...tell him Toyota is better :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Throw in that the '78-79 Blazers had a 400 small block option that no 351 can match. Nor the looks, interior or options..........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

My best friend has a 78 bronco with a np203, ford 9" and dana 44, and a 400. The engines weren't all that good. The day he bought it, it cracked a piston and had to pay more than what he paid for the truck to get the engine rebuilt. I have also heard that the 400's have real bad cooling systems (don't remember to which cylinder), so they are notorious for overheating. A funny part about them is under the hood there are two factory parts that are black spray painted coffee cans. I am just guessing, but they have the same shape (even have the ridges of the cans). I heard they are some vacuum of the system. All around it is a decent truck, and not too hard to come buy. I would NEVER trade my K5 for it though.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Both the 351M and the 400M motors were real dogs.[​IMG]
    I inherited a 1980 F250 SC from my Dad, it had a 400M with a C6 and could NOT pull my trailer without overheating and losing all oil pressure. My little ol 350 in my Jimmy barely breaks a sweat with the trailer, in fact it pulled it a 70 Mph through California in the summer without even getting hot.
    Power? Reliability? Aftermarket parts? Chev all the way!!

Rene

[​IMG]

12. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Klunky, you might want to consult my drunken friend Matt. After all, he does have a '79 Bronco with a 400, C-6 tranny, 3/4 ton axles, and a 205t-case. I mean, he might know something, but all he ever does is talk about how bad ass my Jimmy was. I don't know, but that thing is a monster. But still, if I recall, I towed that POS from Andover to Wichita, because it didn't run.......hmmmmm now what could have pulled it that far?! Maybe my JIMMY!?! HELL YEAH!! Want me to get some people to jack his car?? I'm sure that I could find someone who'd like to have a rice burner.........his thing uses what, mud water and rice?? Ahhhh yeah, that's it!! Later dude.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

13. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

I hope you park beside this guy at work, those little hondas with the wet fart exhaust systems make great steps when your getting out of your truck! Broncos and Blazers, well they're both a whole lot better than that little piece a doo he's driving, I'm surprised he'd even talk to you , tell him to go buy a real vehicle and put his money where his mouth is ,bet he doesn't even have a spare tire in there, it's probably a sub woofer or extra pairs of panties!

Denis -MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

14. River

River 1/2 ton status

I found this in my Chilton Truck repair manual 1975-82.
    Ford 351W 77-79 2bbl 147HP(3400rpm) 276ft.lbs(1800rpm)
    Ford 351M 77-79 2bbl 132HP(3600rpm) 242ft.lbs(1600rpm)
    Chevy 350LD 78-79 4bbl 165HP(3800rpm) 260ft.lbs(2400rpm)
    Chevy 350HD 78-79 4bbl 165HP(3800rpm) 255ft.lbs(2800rpm)

Chevy 350 87-91 TBI 210HP(4000rpm) 300ft.lbs(2800rpm)

I think this will help you.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

15. 88blazer

88blazer Registered Member

When dealing with some one like that you don't need facts. Once I got into a 30 min argument with my old roamate that my 11 bolt axle in my s10 was stronger than his dana 34 in his Dodge. And that NP 307 tranfer case was junk and he should get a bob-warner 12 like mine.
    I could hear my friends laughing from the other room.

Hit? Those tires rub . Rubbin' is off roadin'.
    http://personal.psu.edu/bjh182

16. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Okay, good arguements but the real point is that Phord quite making "real" Bronco's in 1977. From 1966 to 1977 was the only years that Phord made Bronco's. I had a 1968 that I bought used in 1974 and sold really used in 1989. In 1978, they made a F-150 without the divider between the bed and the cab and included the topper which they thought would be competition for the K-5. A lot of my friends in Florida have the 78/79 Broncos that they use as hunting vehicles only. The motors have no power and wouldn't pull a noodle out of a cat's butt. Pound for pund the only slight advantage that the Bronco has is the 9 inch rear. The rest, K5's wins hands down. By the way, what did you friend say his car was going to be when it grows up?

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would have to agree with Grim on this one. Beside the fact that the Broncos are BUTT ugly! LOL Tell him Hondas are Dime A Dozen cars where K5s are real American pieces of machinery. Better yet, dont even give him the time of day. Avoid him, you dont need to hang out with fags like that anyway. Dont tell him about this site, we don't need his trash here.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

18. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Why are you wasting your time arguing with a guy that drives a honda. (Not that driving a honda is bad, as I know some of you use them as comute vehicles, but I meant driving a honda and thinking it's the sh#t). Tell him to shut the f$$$ up and get back to you when HE OWNS a bronco! Just my two cents.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

19. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I have a friend with a 79' Bronco that I wheel with all the time. I grew up with this guy and he always been a Ford fan. He owned His bronco about 2 years before I bought my K5. Anyways, to be honest with yah, I like his bronco. He did blow his 351 about a year ago at maybe 130,000 original miles. He only has 33" tires on there, and to me, my K5 with 35"s feels like it has more power than his bronco. He also has the NP205 transfer like mine. I hate arguing with him over whos is better, b/c he doesn't take anything into consideration. But I know deep down, he knows whos the beast. But, when I wheel, I try to wheel with finesse (so I don't break anything), but he just mashes the gas everychance he gets and I'm suprised he hasn't broke anything major yet. Oh, and another thing I noticed was that his Bronco drove smoother on the road than my K5. I guess its b/c of the front coil springs. But his Bronco can't flex worth a damn though. But anyway, tell this kid to shut up or you'll use his Rice Rocket as a RTI ramp and test your K5's flex on it.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

20. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Right on Boss! Let me elaborate a little more. First of all broncos are decent, they're small, light in weight, 9" rear end and you can dump a V8 in them, BUT this guy is trying to argue with you when he doesn't even have one! Sure the Space Shuttle might be better than a K5, but I don't think he has one of those either.
    If you want to win the arguement challenge him to take his honda off-road against your K5, then when he says no, then tell him to shut up. I'm sorry I just mad when people try to argue a point when they have nothing to do with it.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!