Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me wire my alt so I dont blow another one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Oct 29, 2003.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

OK, Ive got this problem, not sure if its me or pepboys alt.s this is in my 72 camaro ( since my blazer is dead at the moment ). what happen is it nolonger has the regular plug to go on the alt, just two 1/4 inch female plugs. Its a SI unit, I belive the #2 spot on the volt reg is the 12pos to energize the alt and I think the number 1 spot is the voltage sense, now does that go to a 12 pos down stream or a ground or somthing special???? PS I dont have an idiot light. I need to firgure this out because Ive had 3 alternators die with in the past month and a half but the car runs fine on the batt so I dont thing theres any heavy load or short. I need to figure this out asap because this is my only transpertation and I have school and all that good stuff. thanx in advance

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I don't have access to am wiring books right now. But if you don't have your battery fully charged (12 volts) when you install a new alternator (or starter) there is a chance they will fry. Just a thought, good luck with the camero.

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

What is failing on the alternator?

4. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What is failing on the alternator?

[/ QUOTE ] I charge the battery before connecting the alt. I believe the voltage regulators, the first ones just stoped putting out the the voltage and this one is speratic all over the place between 11.5 and 13 but 85% of the time below 12 volts.

5. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Check your grounds, engine, frame, alt bracket--->engine.
    Check your exciter wire for 12v with the key on. Do you have the correct pulley on it?