Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me with a decision

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by MJF, Jul 11, 2002.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I have two trucks that I am gonna put together to make one whole truck & then sell the leftover parts. I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide which way to go.

1st decision: Use 79 1/2 ton cab which I will register at my sister's address in OK(due to excessive late DMV fees in CA) & strip off all smog equip, or use the 76 3/4 ton cab which is currently non-op & try to make it pass smog here.

2nd decision:(the one that's killing me) build it with the 3/4 axles or 1/2 axles. I know you think this is a no-brainer but: If I build it 3/4 ton I have to buy rims, tires($$$), new gears for the front, & whatever else. If I build it 1/2 ton, I have everything needed, plus I can get more if I part out the 3/4 ton.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna do any serious wheeling or not. I would love to actually wheel, just not sure if I will get to do it or not. I'm trying to do the right thing & convince myself to build it tough, but my buddies say I'll never do anything that wil even stress the 1/2 ton(knowing me I'll break it just to prove them wrong).

Any suggestions? Anyone wanna help me build it? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

BTW it will have 6" lift w/ shackle flip rear(thanks to borregok5) & cut out fenders when I figure out which way to build it

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you going to run? Not now but down the road?

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

the 1/2 ton has 36" swampers now with 4" lift & cut fenders. I'm thinking maybe I can fit somewhere in the 38-39" with 6" lift. I may even go ahead & put the 3"body lift on, but I'm not sure about it yet.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You're going to kill the 1/2 ton axles with tires that big if you aren't easy on it. I'd go for the 3/4 ton ones, but the front will still be iffy, in my opinion. I killed my D44 many times with 38s. The 12 bolt faired better, but it still broke on occasion.</font color>

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just stick with the 1/2 tons and 36"s if your not going to wheel that much..........
    And sell me the 3/4 axles maybe... I'm in San Jose too. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

38's or bigger probally wouldn't be too wise on half tons.
    And post some messages here when you want some help.... theres quite a few bay area locals that might be able to help you when your ready to put it together.

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You ever want some help let me know i could swing by after work. I work in fremont.

7. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Well now that you mention it Ryan, I am going to need to borrow an engine hoist from someone pretty soon to get my project rolling. I kind of assumed when it came time for something like that, I would be able to find someine here to help out.

You'll have to let me check out your 72 K5 &amp; 67 RS/SS. I love the 69-72 trucks &amp; 67 is my favorite camaro.

Mike

8. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, one more decision I am pondering. SM 465 or T400, I have both &amp; keep going back &amp; forth about which to use.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Either trans should be fine.

10. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

lol yeah if you dont use the turbo 400 id take that from you too. lol

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Enjoy it with the current 36's and 1/2 ton axles....and spend the money on other stuff you need to get the truck where you want it.

When you make the move to bigger meats, it's gonna be an expensive step....as you already mentioned: tires, wheels, axles, deeper gears, driveshaft issues, more lift needed (or cutting), etc.

I'm in the middle of that changeover on my K5 (3/4 Ton...and on the way to 1-Ton, 38's, etc)....it is big bucks, but there's something WAY COOL about seeing those 8-lug axles peeking out from under a K5! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

There are plenty of folks on the same upgrade path as you, so there will always be parts around when you need them.

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mike...

I got a cherry picker that i can collapse and fit in the back of my blazer.
    Let me know when you are planning on yanking the motor out.
    mmmm Beer. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif