Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help me With the Rough Ride

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

I am looking for suggestions on what kind of suspension change or lift change i should do on my 88 K5 which is lifted 4". I have the double shock in front and the blocks in back. The ride is horrible, but I am used to it, the girlfriend is nagging me to fix it. I hardly offroad and never on very serious trails. So my blazer is mainly for street for now. But I still tow some stuff and I know that plays a factor into it. As I am starting to agree with her and would like a little change I have come to you to ask your expert advices on what kind of shock or front lift change i can make, to help stabilize my ride. If i am correct the front shocks are the rancho 5000 but i cannot remember as they are several years old and the writing is gone from them? I do know their repuation as being a ruff ride but was still wandering what brand to switch too or some other improvements i can make. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Ditch the front double shocks, and go with a single...preferably an adjustable, such as the RS9000 (rear too). Barring that, go with some Bilstien 5100's if you don't like the adjustables. If you can afford it, throw on a whole set of new springs (Tuff Country, BDS, Skyjacker-all good riding springs). If not, go with some 4" rears and ditch the blocks. HTH.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Check the tightness of the spring bolts. People like to crank on these but I think spec is at 52 foot pounds.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

That reminds me too...greaseable spring bushings from ORD. They work wonders.

5. Sandman

Do they? I have been thinking about a set of these but I didnt know that they changed the ride.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah the greasable bushings even softened the ride with stiff old Rancho's noticeably!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with Swanson too! I went from dual 5000s to single 9000s and they made a world of a difference! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I fawked up and put an add-a-leaf though and it's worse than the dual 5000s. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I'll be pulling them out next week!

8. Sandman

Looks like my wish list just got a little longer.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

What front springs do you have now? Find out the spring rate so that you know what kind of change you'd be getting before forking out some dough.

There is always the method of removing a leaf and rearching. That gives a lot more flex, but it tends to sag out after a while.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What tire pressure are you running? if the tires is marked "Max load 2560 at 35 psi" and your running 35 PSI you got the tires over inflated. try backing it down to 30-32. Then the tires will have a little give and not rattle the truck so bad.
    I run 35s so far the are wearing dead even at 30 front 28 rear.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you have a front swaybor you can try pulling it, alot of times it makes a huge difference. Or if it's attatched but doesn't have a drop kit on it, get one to put it back where it's supposed to be in relation to the axle. When the truck is lifted the swaybar angles down and sometimes will make it ride real stiff because it's basically fighting the springs since the geometry is off. An ORD disconnect kit is an even better way to go, even if you are never going to disco it. It adds another pivot so the swaybar can't fight the springs, it just acts like a swaybar should act. </font color>