Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help me with this tranny issue please

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by mudslinger6, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mudslinger6

mudslinger6 1/2 ton status

i have put a new seal on my tranny pan after the first one blew everything was tightened not to tight and not loose...but i didnt put it into gear and it was slowly leaking???could this be cause by the tripod vacuum line thing that plugs in???is there ne thing that anyone can help me with i sold my primary car yesturday so i need to fix this blazer and get it on the road soon..thanks for the help

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

where on the tranny pan is it leaking? What year and what engine? I am guessing that it is four wheel drive because the vacum lines you are seeing go to the transfer case to shift the front axle in to gear.Did you use RTV on the gasket. How did you blow your pan seal?

3. mudslinger6

help

passenger side where the seal is and yes we used silicon gasket,and the seals not broken but its leaking???? its and 89 s-10 and it has a 4.3...the cork one blew becasue i guess i didnt tighten it down enought but this time i got help from a friend who has worked on cars and we checked it after starting it and it leaked...so thanks for the help

4. 1979jimmy350

is it near the front pan on the passanger side? When you changed the gasket did you check for gouges or cracks in the tranny and bent pan or sealing surface? Did you change the filter either of the times if so did you make sure that you got the old filter top seal out it is a common problem for these to get stuck in the pump. Is it leaking bad enough so you can not drive it or is it just a small leak?

5. mudslinger6

i just went out and im thinking a problem is because its new fluid its kinda hard to see on the dipstick i think we over filled it cause we put and extra quart in and about that much came out....yes i changed the filter both times put new ones in just in case and both olds the rings came with them...thanks does the overfilling part sound right???

6. 1979jimmy350

over filling should not cause it to leak there that area is normally covered in fluid. If you over filled it you need to get the extra fluid out because if it is to full the fluid can be caused to foam up causing damage to the tranny. Also check the seal on your dipstick base that could be leaking and throwing you off

7. mudslinger6

its not over full because it leaked but once it leaked a little it read good on the dip stick...everthing above the seal is dry but like i said it not leaking so hopefully im good to go...and i dunno if u are into ifs lifts but if so who would be a good compnay to get one for my 10er???and thanks for your help

8. 1979jimmy350

IFS lifts are really expensive for 5 inches it is about 1500 dollars for the kit. To install the kit requries cutting off frame brackets and welding in new ones. If you are only looking for a few inches do a body lift about $80. you can also crank you torsen bars for about two inches with a add a leaf in the rear. If you are looking for large tires yor best bet would be a SFA conversion

9. mudslinger6

ya i know prices but just asking if u recommended a company that was good....sfa maybe in summer or so....but im looking to run 32's 33's and im looking at a 5 inch lift if not...2inch sus lift,crank tor bars and then spring over in the rear to clear 32's 33's i dont want bigger thats what im gonna but a short bed sfa rig for to lift big...but thanks for your help grately appreciated thanks

10. mudslinger6

also about how long u say a sfa swap would take???

11. 1979jimmy350

a sfa swap would take a good amount of time. But it is a lot stronger then the crap IFS. The best axles to use wouold be out of a jeep because they are narrower then the full size axle. With the jeep axle the transfer case dose not need to be changed. You would have to fab up sprong mounts and put together a set of front springs. The steering box also bolts up to the steering on the jeep axles. I would figure on a few weeks for the swap working on it part time. The more parts that you have gattered at the start the faster that it will go. I would do a good amount of research before you dive in to it and figure out what your goals are

12. mudslinger6

ok thanks

13. mudslinger6

Leaking

question is there a pressure thing that would keep this tranny leaking??

14. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I have some questions about your leak problem.

Did you straighten the pan surface?
    Were all surfaces clean to the metal?
    Did you use just silicone?
    Did you let the silicone set up fairly firm before installing the pan?
    Did you use the cork gasket and silicone?

The reason I as is:
    If you dont let the silicone firm up before the install it will squeeze out and cause a leak.

If you used a gasket with the silicone the gasket will squirm and again leak.

The torque on the trany pan bolt is around 12 lbs. (I think). It does not feel tight at all and the urge to give it that one more turn is hard to resist.

On all points I can say "Been there done that"

15. mudslinger6

i scraped the pan surface put silicon down then the seal let it et for about and hr then i put more silicone one top then put it up and tightened it....thanks but i went away for vacation and my temp plate ends in a few day and i didnt have anytime to work on it so its at a shop...frst time ive ever let someone work on my truck beforee :-(