Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP ME

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by speedy, Dec 21, 2001.

1. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

Hey guys! I have a question on my 78 BMW. I don't know if you know a lot about foreign cars, but I couldn't get it to start the other day and then when it did, it sounded like something was knocking or missing. There was a funny smell too. I don't know how to describe the smell, but any ideas on what it could be? My dad says it could be the battery not getting enough from the alternator or it could be the alternator itself and the smell is from the car trying to get what it needs from the battery. ??? Suggestions??? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I LOVE YOU AJ!!! Til we meet again. ~Michelle

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Can you try to describe the smell? Was it like an electrical fire smell, or a sweet smell, or smelled sorta like gas? There's a bunch of stuff that can cause hard to start/miss/knock.
    When was the last time it had a tune up?

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

If it cranked over OK, then I doubt the problem is your battery or alternator. Did you keep it running until it got fully warmed up? If so, did it run better? We need more information.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".