Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Mine rig just crapped out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jun 28, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I got home from work tonight without any probs in my truck. I parked in the driveway and after dinner made some minor steering linkage adjustments. When I fired it up to take for a test drive to the video store, it started okay but then died. Was real hard to start, but finally fired. It runs real rough and won't stay running under about 1200 RPM. I am getting lots of black smoke out the tail if I rev it. It also runs real, real rough with some backfiring.

I think I dropped a cylinder or two. I was actually planning to replace the plugs and wires tomorrow anyway. Was going to use my timing light to check which ones may not be firing. There is no oil or wetness in the tailpipe, so I think the black smoke is just unburnt fuel from the cylinder(s) that is failing to fire.

What do you guys think? I just got my new rims ordered, my tires on hold, and the new lift installed. I don't want it to look good only parked!!

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like what mine did whe nthe ignition module went out, but it could be the fuel pump, or another ignition related problem. I hope its something simple man, that really sucks for that to happen right after you put all that time and money into it. Hope you get it working.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's fuel related as I am getting unburnt fuel out the tail. In addition, I popped the air filter and listened and watched the fuel delivery in the carb. Seemed normal and consistent. I think it is just the plugs, wires, or the cap. I hope its not ignition problems! Why do these things ahev to have eletrical parts!! I electricity!!

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Electricity isn't all that intimidating. Check some things out and tell us what you find and we can help you out.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I plan to check all the vaccuum lines first in the morning. Then check each of the plug wires with a timing light before changing the plugs and wires. Then, if it still has problems after changing them out and a cylinder is not firing, I will go to the distributor.

If all of those things fail or all my cyls are firing, I will definitely be back on asking for advice.

I trust you guys. newyorkin I have learned to question (he he), but the rest of you have my trust. And I just got my damn tranny working good last night!

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

So you're probably now thinking, "oh, it's Newyorkin"...
    Dang, one simple misread, thinking QUARTS/reading PINTS (which Twizted, a very reputable/reliable tech also did) wrecks my reputation. I wouldn't have freaked if I didn't think your tranny was in potential danger, and I don't think anything I said would be wrong if the situation were applied to quarts.

Anyway, I would ask a few things I haven't seen asked yet. Have you actually smelled the fuel going into the motor? Did you smell fuel coming out? I know you probably can't keep it running while smelling the exhaust, but if you can get a good whif of a cloud, might help you know exactly WHAT you're burning. Did you get gas just before this occured? Possible diesel fuel was added (fuel station pumping out the wrong juice from an 87/89/93 pump)?
    Do you see sparks anywhere around your ignition components at night while it's running? Cap loose? Cracked?

Anyway, just a suggestion. If I freaked you out, it's because I'm trying to help you catch anything bad before it happens, and I apologize profusely for misreading and overreacting. S'alright to ignore me anyway. I don't really know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 06/29/01 09:08 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

How do the plugs and wires look? Make sure the wires are pushed all the way on on the cap and the plugs. That's just a simple easy little thing to check. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?</font color=blue>

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Well, here's the results. First thing this morning I took all the plug wires off the cap and pushed them back on. Started it up and it ran like before. But, I was planning to replace the plugs and wires anyway. When pulling the old plugs, they were in horrible shape. They had been in for 40,000 miles, but that was over a period of 7 years. After changing the plugs and wires, the truck fired up easier than ever and ran smoother than ever. Panic attack over. When you go and dump $2500 into the thing in 2 weeks and then something like this happens, I tend to panic!

And don't worry, newyorkin, just joshin with ya! Keep the info coming.

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Sounds like she could use a tune up [​IMG]

<font color=blue>I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?</font color=blue>