Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help *MORE help needed with install of manual hubs* Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sax Art, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

O.K. This is getting old!!!!

I tore into the automatic hubs on my '91 again in an attempt to get them out and put in my new milemarker manual hubs. I'm still having trouble getting the original (automatic) hubs out.

When I open up the hub, I take off the wire "C" clip that holds the large spring in. The large spring pops out and then I remove that small clip which exposes the ends of the LARGE snap ring. THIS IS WHERE I'M STUCK!!!! How do I get the large $@#%ing snap ring out!?!?!?!?!?! The only part which is exposed is the ENDS of the spring. I tried squeezing them together, bending and twisting but the hubs still won't come out!!! What do I do?!?!?

The sad thing about this is that I called MILEMARKER and the woman who worked there (I apparently had called too early, before the regular tech people were there) told me that I should just pull harder on the hub and it will just come out. It was obvious she didn't know what she was talking about, but didn't want to admit that!

How do I get these hubs out????

Thanks!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Are you saying that the large ring that is in a groove on the inside rim of the hub it self won't come out? If so find were the two ends meet, one of the ends should be tapered so you can get a pick or small flatblade under the ring end then it sould pop out. This ring I'm talking about is large the size of a baseball. Have you found this ring yet?

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Sax Art

That large (baseball sized) ring appears to be behind the body of the hub. The hub has a small grove on one edge where the ends of the ring protrude through as if to allow a person to squeeze the ends and thereby release the hub body. I've squeezed, pinched, pried, twisted (all while swearing of course!) the ends of that ring to no victory!

I know somebody out there has done this before and knows the trick!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm, that is different than mine?? Maby your supose to spread them instead of squeaze???? OK I'll stop guessing!
    I never screwed with thoes auto deals before?????
    Some one here has to know................................

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe this will help
    look at he picture and see if you can tell what part you are having trouble with.
    [​IMG]
    This is an exploded view of the auto hub. Sure does make you appreciate those Warn's

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

6. Sax Art

Cool...That helps, now we can each know what we're talking about! Thanks

O.K. Here's the deal. It looks like #9 in the picture is the large ring...correct? (It's tough to tell, but you get the idea). Number 11 is the small clip which goes over the ends of the ring. When I slide #11(small clip) out of the grove in the hub body, all I see are the ends of #9 (large ring) sticking out at me! By the looks of your picture, it looks like that large ring (#9) should be in front of (closer to the outside) the body of the hub, but on my truck, it's BEHIND the hub with JUST the bent ends of the ring protruding through the grove (which you can see in the picture) of the hub body. I SURE HOPE THIS DIDN'T GET PUT TOGETHER BY THE P.O. INCORRECTLY!

Wow....how confusing!

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

OK.. I know exactly what your boggle is.... I'm assuming everything up to there is out... so all you need to do is pinch the ends of the big ring together (I used a 45 degree &gt; needlenose) and pull on the hub or #10 I believe and it pulls out... sometimes takes a little umph (just rember the ring needs to be squeezed together. From there on it's gravey.... good luck

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

8. Sax Art

We're getting closer!!!!

That confirms what I already thought! When I saw those two ends sticking out, I thought to myself, "I bet those ends need to be squeezed together and then the hub will slide out!" Now at least I know I was correct, but last night, I tried that and couldn't get it to come out. I was using straight needle-nose pliers. Does anybody else have a better trick for squeezing these ends together?

I guess I'll just have to give it another try tonight!!!

9. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Mine sucked to get out too, it was actually kinda frustrating. You have to squeeze that baseball sized snap ring ALL the way together and yank like hell. Make sure you get the snap ring fully compressed, that is the hardes part. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

10. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I am doing this same job tomarrow. How far back on the automatic hubs do I have to take off to install Warn premiums? Do I take out the "big" part and then any washers behind it? The instructions say to take off "ALL retaining rings on the splined axle shaft." My guess is that I remove all things down to the wheel bearing lock nut (number 28 on the diagram). Is this right? If not please tell me the number in the picture above to remove to, it would help alot. Thanks

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chewy on 04/05/01 10:17 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. Sax Art

I took a closer look at that diagram that was posted....(It's so small, I actually had to print it, and enlarge it on a copy machine).

Are we sure that the snap ring should be BEHIND the body of the hub? It looks like (based on the picture) that it should be IN FRONT of the hub body with the two bent ends pointing INTO the center of the axle housing through that little slot on the side of the hub body.

By hearing what a few of you are saying......it sounds like maybe the picture is wrong?

Thanks for all of your help!

12. Sax Art

Hey Chewy

What year is your truck?

Let me (us) know how it went and if you figured out any tricks!

13. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i just did mine i have a 83 jimmy but it's the same as the pic,
    one side was easy the other took three hands i squezed the
    large ring and pried with a scewdrier just a litte it's just the first 1/8" that was tight,
    p.s. if you have help get some one to turn the driveline a little bit back and forth hope this helps
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by lgk5 on 04/05/01 12:12 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

try some snap ring pliers, they have points to fit in the holes on the snap ring. You can get them for both the squeeze together or spread apart snap rings.
    Also to relieve som pressure on the hub, try pushing the axle back into the diff. Use a big screwdriver or pry bar at the u-jointand push it back into the diff. It won't move far but could eleviate some of the presure on the hub for you.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

15. Sax Art

I got them off!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your help!

The 1st time I had pulled it apart, I thought about squeezing that large snap ring, but didn't want to wreck anything. Took me about 45 minutes total from taking out the tools, to wiping them off afterwards.

Thanks again for all of your help!!