Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP More pinion shaft problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 2, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I got the piece of broken bolt out of the pinion shaft but the thing still will not come out of the carrier. I pound on it but no luck. I budges a little. When one wheel is on the ground the shaft spins with the spider gears, so it is not completely seized in the houseing. I dont know where to go from here. Heat?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

turn the carrier in the housing so that the end of the cross pin shaft where the bolt goes through, is facing away from you, get a punch, or extension, and a hammer, and hammer on that bastard.. once it moves, keep going until the shaft hits the inside of the housing..then wiggle the shaft back up enough to turn the carrier, grab it with some vice grips and YANK IT /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I got the piece of broken bolt out of the pinion shaft

[/ QUOTE ]
    How long was this piece? The entire bolt is about 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch long.

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I drilled a hole on either side of the shaft. I got the whole piece. Can the shaft go out either direction or does it have to go only one way?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I drilled a hole on either side of the shaft. I got the whole piece. Can the shaft go out either direction or does it have to go only one way?

[/ QUOTE ]

It goes both ways, but sometimes one side is easier.
    I usualy find that pushing the side that has the bolt holding it in is easier.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just hammer it out towards the end where the bolt was..