Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Motor turns over Without key!!!!!....(UPDATED)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86DIESEL, Feb 13, 2003.

1. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

Had to replace the starter a month ago on my 86. Two weekends ago the starter got hung up on the flywheel(so we thought)and we shut the engine down and the starter motor kept turning but the gear had released so it was not turning the flywheel but was still running the starter motor even with the ingition/key turned OFF. Had to disconnect the batteries to make the starter stop running.
    When we hooked the batteries back up the everything seemed normal and the starter was not running like before. It ran fine for the next two weeks except for the deteriorating cranking power that got worse over time.

I replaced the starter I put on a month ago this week b/c the incident above burned the other one up and several teeth were chewed up on the gear. When we put the new starter on today it acted like there were a few flywheel teeth missing and electrical sparks came from under the truck near the starter. When i shut the engine down everthing seemed ok. Then i tried cranking a second time and the satarter did what it had done a few weeks ago and got hung up and we disconnected the batteries again. WHen we tried to reconnect the battiers this time the damn engine started to turn itself over with the key in the off position(I reckon the gear was still hung up). Why is my ignition sending juice to the starter with the key turned OFF.

Can Someone please tell me what the heck is going on with my ignition system /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: HELP! Motor turns over Without key!!!!!

When you hooked the starter back up did you hook the correct wires back in the correct places on the starter? If you still have your old one check to see how they were labeled and verify that you put everything back the way it was.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had that before, but in my case it was the solenoid that was sticking. Changed it and everything was fine.
    In your case I would think either it was the same but you also got a bad new starter so try to take it off and give it power see if it turns still.
    Or check the ignition you might have a stuck contact.
    Try bypassing the key and rigging a temp push button system.

4. 86DIESEL

The starter is a replacement from Parks Auto/Federated and is the only one they had with a lifetime warranty. Its a Suncoast brand and is a sorry POS. I have a stack of printouts from all the starter returns i've had over a 4-5 year period. So there is a good possiblity it was bad out of the box.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Make sure the wires to the starter ain't crossing each other either.

6. 86DIESEL

IceMan, would there be any reason I couldn't bypass using the key for cranking all together and run the push button all the time like Semi's and Tractors do? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I did get the starter off to look at it today but it starting pouring rain so I didn't get to test the solenoid. or the ignition switch /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's what I have on my diesel blazer.
    I like it and it's a theft device too, you turn the key and nothing...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 86DIESEL

What all would I need to rig up the new switch?

9. 86DIESEL

I thought I fixed my starter problem the other weekend by replacing the stater relay on the column and the ignition/key switch. We had the starter tested on the tester at advance auto and it showed everything being ok. We put everything back together and the wires on the solenoid were hooked up right and everything crancked like it was supposed to and shut off like it was supposed to. Today though the starter would not shut off like I mentioned in the first post and the cable from the battery to the starter caught on fire. No visible damage other than the wire though /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I am assuming the problem i have is between the relay on the column and the solenoid.

I am fed up with it now. I think I am going to definitely get a push button for the starter and rewire the all the battery cables with #1 and maybe even 0 for the cable on starter. Is there anything else that I should change?