Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help MoVING......U-HAUL sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81jimmyslt, Aug 2, 2004.

1. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I would post this in the towing section but I need responses as soon as possible. Heres the situation I live in South Lake Tahoe, CA I am supposed to move to Eureka, CA about 350 miles away for school. My initial plan was to rent a u-haul with a car transport, which I would pull my truck with the u-haul (put the 31"s on for the trailer ride)and the wife will follow in her car. This way we could get everything in one trip and not have to worry about the K5 breaking down.

I soon find out it's going to cost me around 600 dollars just for the u-haul and trailer....oh well I'll suck it up. Not I find out on their website that their auto transport trailer are only rated for 3,900 lbs. so they wont rent it to me.

What have you huys done when you move?

Should I attempt to tow with my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Buy a trailer for the K5 and have my MOM tow it up there with her 2002 chevy.

Or should I get around U-hauls crap somehow and not be insured /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Maybe rent a trailer somewhere and pull it with the u-haul?

I still need to call budget (the only other company near me and its in sacrament) and see if they have a trailer ?

Please help advice needed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks
    Jesse

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you go Uhaul, a couple things to keep in mind. I recently towed my truck with a Uhaul car transport from Chicago to Dallas. You HAVE to use the silver trailer. It's newer and 4.5" wider than the old orange trailers. My Blazer on 35x12.50x15 with 4.25 BS wheels actually fit between the wheelwells. Of course I couldn't use the straps provided with the trailer, but I borrowed some auto transport straps from Dan Dycus and shipped them back to him. The 3700# load rating is crap. I told them it was a modified S-10, that's why I needed the wider trailer. Then I loaded up my 1 ton K5 with about 500# of metal underneath on the trailer, and 500# of tools in the truck. I pulled this with their truck.

Ok, also since you're only going 350 miles, a lot of times it's quite a bit cheaper if you drop off in the same city and do a local move. Of course then you have the logistics of getting your ass back to your new home 350 miles away. Just some stuff to keep in mind. PM me if you have any questions since I"m not online much these days..but....I did a lot of research before I went this route.

Bryan

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Also get some price quotes from different Uhaul places. I got about a 200 buck price break for going with one of the big Uhaul centers 15 miles away rather than going to the auto body shop that has a couple trucks right by the house.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Try Desert Storage in Carson. They rent Penskie trucks. Way better equipment than U haul. I think Penskie has no milage charge.
    There are also a bunch of truck/trailer rental places in Reno.
    Depending on how heavy of a load you have you can tow with a K5. I just moved my daughter to Reno. I Towed my trailer full of her stuff (couches, beds, dressers, ect) down there (300 miles) no problem. I put on my 31" street tires for the tow.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i just went through a bunch of crap with UHaul and their POS "car haulers" we put a 72 Firebird on one on Saturday, and it barely fit. my guess would be your K5 wouldnt.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey Jesse I could haul it for You /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Of course I would have to charge You $140 an hr /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    So when You gonna be up around these parts?