Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Mudhog & others... trouble installing Dodge D60 in `84 3/4 ton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quack_Addict, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I began removing the 8-lug 10 bolt front in my 1984 Chevy 3/4 ton today to replace it with a Dodge Dana 60. I don't know what year the D60 is, but the guy I bought it from said it's a Dodge.

Anyway, the Dana 60 axle tubes appear to be slightly larger in diameter than the GM 10 bolt I am in the process of taking out... not much... maybe 1/8" to 1/4". I am expecting I might need U-bolts with a larger spread. However, wider bolts won't fit the spring plates (connected to the sway bar). Also, the two studs coming out of the differential housing on the D60 only have a spread of about 3" center to center of the studs... the U-bolt inner U-bolt on the diff side on the 10 bolt spans about 4 3/4" center to center. Am I going to need different spring plates to install this axle??? What about the sway bar?

The brakes and everything else looks to be a pretty straight forward conversion... getting the axle to fit the spring plates is another story. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey Quack, what's up? Don't see you around ORC anymore, what happened /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ? Anyways, yeah, you're gng to need some D60 spring plates for that puppy, and new U-bolts would be a much better idea than trying to spread out the ones from the 10 bolt. </font color>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you will need new top plates and u-bolts i used the dodge top plates and ditched my swaybar and have no regreats about taking it off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif you will also need a chevy dana 60 steering arm and a chevy yoke but you may be able to find a conversion u-joint but the ideats at the parts stores could not find one for me so i just got a new yoke /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Quack_Addict

Not too much shaking around here, Shag... I bought a new house and became unemployed all in the process of about 2 weeks around the beginning of June. Just making the house my own and working on truck stuff. I finally got that `87 3/4 ton Burban running yesterday after swapping in a newer 6.5 in place of the siezed 6.2 the previous owner created with a serious lack of engine oil. Need parts for the 10 bolt front in that... so I decided to canibalize the 10 bolt in the front of my blue truck and install the D60 that's been holding my garage down all summer.

Gotcha... new U-bolts, top plates, and a Chevy style steering arm. That brings up another question I had... how are Chevy, Dodge and Ford steering arms different? I've been shopping on E-bay and some of each come up occasionally - Chevy steering arms seem pretty rare. I think the D60 I have already has a Chevy style pinion yoke on it; have to verify that tomorrow. One last thing, are the Dodge spring plates going to be the setup for the same spring width as on a Chevy?

Thanks for the help - I'll post on my progress tomorrow afternoon.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

chev steering arm drops down a bunch from its mounting point the dodge one is fairly level and can be retapered from the top for about 2" raised over the chev piece
    I can email you images of the different arms....

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Just for clarification, you'll need a ste of Dodge u-bolt plates. The studs on a Dodge housing are spaced differently than a Chevy.

7. Quack_Addict

m j -

If you have the pics easily available, please send them to redhighrider@yahoo.com. I think I have a line on the U-bolt plates and steering arm (Dad's 4x4 in Owosso, MI), but the shop doesn't open until 1:00pm... it's 11:20am right now.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

It looks like I didnt have a chev one handy but I sent you a stack of dodge and ford images
    I will keep looking

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There should be a shot of the steering arm on my D60 in my webshots, int eh D60 album. I'd link right to it, but Webshots appears to be down at the moment... </font color>

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, that's a piss poor shot though. I thought that there was a better one on there, but I guess not. Oh well, the Quacker can kind of see the shape of it from that shot... </font color>

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I heard that the spring pads on the Dodge axle were 1" closer together than those on a Chevy. Somebody presented an idea to use offset spring bushings since aftermarket springs are narrower than factory springs in a Chevy. I don't know how the shock mounts are set up. Better get a tape measure on it.

So the Dodge differential is on the passenger's side or are you swapping in a Dodge transfer case?

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so far we havent told him the dodge one will require shorter draglink....

14. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

mine didnt /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

further apart

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

which years fit???
    is crossover avaible for the dodge??

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cross over is the same for chev and dodge other then the dodge axle is ~2" narrower then a chev so the crossover drag link will be shorter by ~1"

the hard part is deciding what to do about the spring pad width difference, although some feel comfortable spreading the chevs springs with a jackall/hilift to get the axle in.

18. Quack_Addict

I measured the 10 bolt front axle and the Dana 60 and the Dodge D60 is 2" narrower than the 10 bolt (measured between the wheel mounting surfaces on the rotors/hubs). This will bring each wheel in approximately 1" on each side. Should I expect the tires to hit the fenders with the Dodge D60 installed?

Specs on the truck:
    * 4" suspension lift
    * 35x12.50x16.5 BFG MT's on American Racing Outlaw II's (their website doesn't list offset of these wheels)
    * Fenders are not trimmed

Right now the tires rub a little when turning sharp and hitting a moderate bump.

Thanks again....

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how does it compare to a chev rear axle width?

where does it rub? inner fender or ???
    I never had any axle width related clearance troubles, just the usual not enough lift and tearing out inner fenders

20. Quack_Addict

I almost included that in my previous post. With the Dodge D60 in the truck and the tires on, the track width of the front axle will be approximately the same as the track width in the rear with the 14FF. I have know the rear axles are narrower than the front's to assist in cornering and/or turning... might present minor cornering / turning issue?

An idea to help correct the offset with the narrower axle is to use spacers... but going this route with even 3/8" spacers, I would probably want to install longer wheel studs to maintain thread engagement of the lug nuts. Just a thought.