Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help!! my electrical.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Oct 21, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

My timing was off like a tooth. so itook of my dist cap and put it tdc. then i moved my wires around accordingly. i had my wife hit the igniotion it turned over ten or twelve times over 2 tries and then went to clicking. now it wont do anything. somewhere between walikng to get the cables and coming back (5 min) she did something (truck not my wife). i got some grounds that are hot now. something is grounding out. everything under the dash is hot like its supposed to be. i have a push button ignition, b/c my wife broke the key. its hot but when you press the button nada. i thought the switch was bad. so i crossed the 2 wires w/o the switch. nada! WTH? I looked at my starter wires and didnt see anything burnt or charred. at anyrate i had to come to work. any ideas? also my ground on the battery burnt the hell out of me last night after the 2 attempts to crank it. one last thing. if i touch my test light to the ground cable in the block from the battery and then touch the neg battery treminal she lights up. is that completeing a circuit or a bad sign?the battery is disconnected until i get back home after 7.

thanks

69K5
    nathan

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ttt

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would start suspecting a bad ground cable. Resistance=Heat. If the cable had some internal corrosion then the cable will not carry the amperage and will become a heater.
    If the ignition was on when you did the test light trick then it was normal for it to light up. you were completing the circuit. Normaly with the ignition off the only draw should be the radio memory if your radio is digital. Door open so the Dome light would be on would also be enough to cause the test light to light in that test.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the coil switch was on i think. i will check out the bad ground.

thanks

nathan
    '

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

TTT

Ok last night i fiddled with it some more and tightened up all my wire connections that i could find or do. i have power everywhere now but as soon as i hit the starter button everything goes dead even the radio. then i have to go back under the hood and wiggle the cables slightly and the radio is back on. this happens if the coil is hot or not. the coil is hooked to a toggle switch. nothing moves on the truck. the only noise is when the solenoid clicks and everything blacks out. i cant find a bad spot in the cables anywhere. anybody have any ideas? i check ed all the wires to the statre and ignition. i acnt finda ny broke or burnt spots.

thanks

nathan

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

tttt

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hook a jumper cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the block and see if your problem goes away. If it does then replace the cable. Have your battery load tested if it doesn't make the problem go away.

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks again. i'll try that tonight. i had to put in hold last night due to a test. college cost too much to screw it up a second time.

thanks again
    nathan

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

You were right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i cut the cable back an inch and respliced it after cleaning it and she \cranked right up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks again
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Nathan