Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! My engine won't slow down!!! Also have a noise...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Capman2k, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Help! My engine won\'t slow down!!! Also have a noise...

Howdy, today my idle doesn't seem to be going down... I have a fast idle on it so it'll warm up quicker... the engine is supposed to slow down when it's warm, and usually does... Today it's not. It just keeps going and going.. tap the gas a bit and it keeps going.. I don't know if it's just a one day thing like a while ago when it was really fast or what... What shall I look for?

My noise is a loud click like something is loose or something.. I thought it was just the jack vibrating on the wheel well, but I took the jack out and the sound is still there... hrmmm?

79 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/capman2k/>Go Here</a>
    Wyoming doesn't exist, the map maker just needed to fill the space above Colorado[​IMG]

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

Re: Help! My engine won\'t slow down!!! Also have a noise...

check the high idle for some thing stuck in the spring on the passanger side if the carb and spray all linkage with wd40 or something like it. The springs get rusty and bind up

3. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

as for the noise be more specific. you are going to have to look around for something loose somewhere or broken

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

well go and visualy check to see if the linkage is dropping. If they don't drop and the choke open up it will usualy stall the engine as the engine gets warm. If It's comming off the high idle cam then it may be a vacume leak. This will idle it up also. Carb cleaner the linkages also and make sure they are clean. doesn't take much crud to hang them up. Also check to see if the Idle kicker for the A/C is hung. That's the round deal with the wire comming out of it on the driverside front of the carb.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper