Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!, my exhaust manifold STILL won't fit!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Nov 3, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Help!, my exhaust manifold STILL won\'t fit!

The nightmare continues...
    I got one of those exhaust manifold spreaders from Carquest and followed the instructions. I first screwed in the middle and put the spreader between the center and front pipes and expanded the spreader until the holes line up, worked great. Then I went to the back screws and did the same routine. The spreader did its job and aligned the holes HORIZONTALLY, but now the holes are uneven vertically (the manifold needs to go up about 1/8 inch in order to align with the head). We tried using a carjack and placing a pipe in between the jack and the manifold and lifting until they line up. It moved the holes some but then just lifted the whole truck. I'm thinking of taking all the screws out and reversing the process by starting with the rear and ending with the front bolts. That way I can at least have more access to the front bolts. It's not that big of a deal because I have some Edelbrock TES headers coming in about a week. But I really need a running vehicle so let me know if yall have any suggestions.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Help!, my exhaust manifold STILL won\'t fit!

Hog the holes out to 1/2" in a drill press... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

This may sound really stupid, and perhaps for good reason, but what would happen if you were to bake the manifold? maybe stick it in the oven and get it good and hot before working with it? Keep your oven mits handy of course, but my thought is that if it expands enough, you may be able to get it to line up? or maybe a combo of the oven and your jack and pipe? Let us know if you try this... i'll be real interested to hear how it turns out.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What is so special about those manifolds that you are willing to go through all this time and aggirvation to make them fit?
    I just threw out a perfectly good set of truck manifolds with good studs bcause they are not worth anything and I upgraded to corvette manifolds.
    Any junkyard will have what you need or you can buy new ones like I did.
    On a side note, I've never had a problem with them not lining up. Sure, the holes may not have been perfectly in line but you could geta bolt in all the holes and tighten it down straight.
    -- Mike

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem he did, except mine were off a GOOD 1/4". There is no way that you could even halfway get a bolt started in the hole, and even if you did somehow manage too, putting all that load on a bolt going into a cast iron head is probably not the greatest situation to put yourself in.

Getting a manifold that *fits* is easier than dealing with a broken manifold bolt stuck in the head.

Also an excuse to go with headers, especially if you have to do the rest of the exhaust as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif