Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help!, my exhaust manifold won't fit!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by BayouBlazer88, Oct 27, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

help!, my exhaust manifold won\'t fit!

I'm in the process of putting my engine back together since I replaced my headgaskets. I tried to put the 2 exhaust manifolds back on and the passenger side bolts don't line up. However the driver side fit perfectly without any problems. I stuck the very rear bolt in and hand tightened it and then tried to get the very front bolt in and the hole was about an 1/8 inch off, as if the manifold shrunk or something. I know I had considerable trouble removing the AIR hose (it's fuel injected, 88') from the manifold and had to use a pipe wrench to get it off. Is it possible that I bent the manifold in doing so? And what can I do to make it fit once again other than buying a new manifold?

2. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

Re: help!, my exhaust manifold won\'t fit!

did you take them off when they were kinda hot still? they could have shrunk. i doubt it you bent them they are kinda thick. if you buy new get headers. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

just the back is 1/8" off right. I've just left the last one off and tighten the rest

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

i would say just leave that back or front bolt off and it it doesnt leak just dont worry about it but if it does i suggest buying headders

ford= f*ed. over. rebuilt. disaster

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

4 options:
    1st, scrap it and buy headers /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    2nd, loosen them all up and try to put all the bolts in and THEN tighten them down.
    3rd, heat the manifold up and install it again.
    4th, see the 1st option.

6. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I've seen this before. The guy used a spreader to get them to fit back on the heads. He borrowed it from a local shop that rebuilt motors and such.

7. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

I've got one of those. Picked it up at Car Quest. I had the same problem with both of mine. Just call around and ask for a exhaust manifold spreader. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. BayouBlazer88

No, I doubt it was very hot when I took it off. It had been sitting for about a day since it last ran. And yes, headers are definitely on the "To Do" list but for now the funds are low. I plan on putting eddelbrock TES headers. Anyway, can you rent these "exhaust manifold spreaders" at autozone or oreilly or carquest? If not, how much are they to buy? thanks guys.

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That is a very common problem. Those log style manifolds almost always warp like that. It does not matter if they are hot or cold when you take them off. They make a spreader to get them back on, as noted above.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Or you can make your own with two bolts and a one of those long threaded nuts. Bolt center ports onto head, insert spreader between rear port and middle ports, lengthen spreader until holes line up and insert bolts (then repeat for the front). This process works, but using commercially made spreaders is easier, as they "Grip" the manifold better. Using bolts can be tough to keep from slipping on the manifold surface.

11. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

I had to use a spreader to get mine back on and i managed to crack one in the process so I just scrapped them and bought headers.

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've used a bolt with a nut then put a small peice of pipe on the outside of the nut then when you loosen teh nut as to take it off the bolt it pushes the pipe to one side and the head of the bolt to teh other side and spreads the manifest till you can hit the bolt in it. I also heated the manfiest up a litte too. Hope this helps:

||\\\H=

||\\\ = bolt
    H =nut
    = =pipe

13. BayouBlazer88

Re: help!, my exhaust manifold won\'t fit!, also, tornado air is junk

OK guys, I went and bought a spreader at carquest for 12 bucks, bolted in the 2 middle bolts, then tried to line up the front holes, worked perfectly. then I tried for the rear. I got the holes to line up horizontally, but I also noticed that the manifold now needs to go UP about an 1/8 inch to line up. I didn't feel like rigging anything up at the time so I just left it alone. Any ideas on how to vertically align the exhaust manifold with the cylinder head? Also, I read the posts on that tornado air thing. I got one about a year ago. I noticed a very slight difference in acceleration but nothing worth 80 bucks. Has anyone tried that throttle body spacer? does that do any good?