Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help my figure this out

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RLBstein, Jul 15, 2003.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I have something on the radiator that looks like a temp sensor but I have no wire hooked up to it and my temp sensor works so it's not that. If your looking at the front of your truck, look at the left side of your radiator (passenger side) and there is something screwed into it that has a pin on it (its pointing to the engine) that looks like a wire slides onto it. Anyone know what it is for. I'll will try to get a pic of it soon.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know the sensor you're talking about, I have a wire hoooked up to it but I'm not really sure what it's for...

Rene

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

It may be a coolent lever sensor for retard light. Mine is hooked up by a single wire.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yup, it's the sensor that's connected to the "Low Coolant Level" idiot light in the cluster. I never quite understood why GM felt the need to install that setup on a 6.2.

FWIW, my "low coolant" light flashes on from time to time. After getting out of the truck and checking for blown coolant hoses about half a dozen times in the first month of owning the truck I learned to ignore it.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Check the wire comming from the sensor. They have a habit of getting mashed by the (passenger or front) battery /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it´s very helpfull.I drove around with my Jimmy for a couple of months with a broken radiator. If I opened the cap to check the level it leaked much more so I drove until that light came on and then filled it up.