Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! my flexplate/flywheel is rubbing the stop bushing on my starter.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Apr 17, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

My flywheel/flexplate is hitting the stop metal bushing on my starter. I'm not sure how to fix it. It only occurs at start up and for a while afterwards, then it stops. Also sometimes when i hit a bump it starts rubbing again. It makes a real bad noise, and is really annoying. I went to the auto parts store to check out a new starter, and the bushing is in the same place as mine, also they said i cannot shim it because it needs to move forward not up or down. What can I do? could I have bent my flexplate without knowing it? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It sounds like the starter itself is moving around. Dumb question: are you sure it's tight? What about the bolts, are they the knurled starter bolts or regular bolts? I think the knurled shoulder helps to hold it in place.

The fact that it hits occaisionally while going over bump really makes me think something is loose, that is why I asked about the starter. The only other thing that might be moving around is the flywheel. You might also want to try to move the flywheel by hand to see if it feels loose.

3. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifSTARTER SHIMS!!!!!! You need to add a starter shim or two between the starter and the block!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I had this problem in my 78' GMC JIMMY and all I did was add ONE shim to the starter but on another chevy Pickup I needed TWO!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI will bet a cool $100 this FIXES YOUR PROBLEM!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I hate to say this but to me it sounds like the thrust journal may have some wear on it and the crank is walking.

I would definately check for loose starter and the other stuff too first. How many miles on the engine? Have you replaced the starter? Have you replaced the flexplate?

Another very possible cause is the flexplate is mounted on backwards.???

John

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Shoot, loose bell housing bolts will do that as well, that would be the first thing I would checkkkkkkk............

John

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same thing happen.
    I thought it was the starter at first or a warped flexplate.
    When I pulled my trans to fix the front pump leak I found what the problem was.

THE FLEXPLATE HAD A CRACK OVER HALF WAY AROUND!!!!!
    Unbolt your torque converter and see if you can slide it back a bit and see in there to make sure all the crank bolts are tight and that there is no crack in it.

Bottom line I think you need a new flexplate.

7. 76_Cheyenne

well the engine and tranny have about 85,000 miles on them. Stock flex plate. I went under it today, found that the starter would wiggle a very small amount, so i tried to tighten the bolts, but i couldn't get them any tighter without risk of breaking the bolt. I tried to move the flexplate, it wouldn;t move, a bit by my hands. I had a friend turn it over for me and it looked to be running fairly straight, but i found that only about 1/2 to 3/4 of the fly wheel has marks on the egde from hitting the starter bushing. I looked way up between the torque converter and the flexplate to those top bolts and didn't see anything, it looked fine. I also checked a few bell housing bolts, one needed about a 1/16 of a turn tighter. But after wiggling my starter, it stopped, and i didn't hear the noise all day. Now that the trucks been sitting for a while ill start it again and see what happens and let ya'll know. Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

check your flex plate/ flywheel. i have had 2 break around the center ring of bolts both almost completely gone when i finally broke down and slid back the tranny to check it.

nathan

9. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Check your motor mounts. My driver side mount was so bad that when I removed it, it fell into 3 pieces with just a little shake. Its scarry to see a motor jump around that much under the hood. I was getting alot of noise from the flex plate/torque converter area until I replaced all the mounts.

jason

10. 76_Cheyenne

well after messing around with the starter and really cranking on the bolts i havent heard the noise since. I had left it over night and the noise never came back today. So hopefully that was my problem. I won't be able to pull the tranny till late may when i get home from school, so as long as the noise doesnt come back i think ill be ok. thanks for the advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifHELLO! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif!!ARE YOU LISTENING!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!YOUR starter is to close to the flywheel!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!AD A STARTER SHIM BETWEEN THE STARTER AND THE BLOCK BUDDY!!!I'm sure even if you already have one on another thin one wont hurt!DEW IT!!!YEAH BUDDY!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif