Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!, my ignition key won't turn

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 14, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

HELP!, my ignition key won\'t turn

For some reason, my key won't turn into the starting position. I tried as hard as I can and it just won't turn. I kept trying and I accidentally broke off the metal ring that you use to turn the key so you don't break the key when you start it up. It goes to the "RUN" position but won't go past it. Is there a quick fix for this or will I have to tear apart the whole steering column?

2. BayouBlazer88

Re: HELP!, my ignition key won\'t turn

Ok, I just checked my LMC truck catalogue and I see that I will definitely need a new ignition lock cylinder, since I broke that front part of mine off. but will I also need a new ignitiion switch (whatever that is)?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The key turns a linkage that runs down the colum. The actual swtich is down byt the peddles. Anybody been under the dash moving stuff recently? check to see if something is in the way of the linkage.

4. rambler

rambler Registered Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me a little while ago, with all of the windows rolled down, in a neighborhood where you dont want to leave the windows rolled down.

If you can get to it there is a little hole you can put a pin in to remove the cylinder on the chrome part. I think the car needs to be in the on position though.

If not it is a royal pain, but get a steering wheel puller and go into the column.
    To get the cylinder out there is a little tab that you can push in on the cylinder and it pops right out.

Good luck!

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

what did you do to the truck prior to trying to start it. mine did the same thing when i replaced my body mounts, i needed to adjust the auto trans shift rod so it wasent binding. just a thought.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had the key cylinder fail on 3 different trucks over the years. There is usually no warning that it's about to die. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The steering wheel has to come off, then you have to remove the lock plate (buy a lock plate tool or you will have a VERY hard time putting it back on). On early trucks, it was easier to remove the cylinder, by just pushing the lock pin that held it in place. But this also made it VERY easy for a thief to use a slide hammer with a screw tip to just yank the cylinder out and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to start the vehicle and drive away. So somewhere along the way GM redesigned it so that 2 screws hold the cylinder in place. But either way, it's an easy job once you get inside. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The good news is that a new cylinder with keys should only cost about $20. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. BayouBlazer88

ok, so all i need is to replace my key cylinder? if so, is there a way I can get the thing started for now? because I'll have to order that cylinder and it will take a few days to come in and I don't have any other vehicles. also, does autozone rent out lock plate tools and do they sell key cylinders?

thanks for the info so far, guys

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i know o'reileys has an ignition cylinder that they sell but i'm not so sure of autozone. ya might want to try them. they don't cost much and isn't that hard to replace as i've done it once. i'm pretty sure they rent out that tool. ya also need a steering wheel puller. they rent em there if ya don't have one already. well hope this helps. later

jacob

9. BayouBlazer88

ok, i got a steering wheel puller and a lockplate puller. i got the steering wheel off with a breeze but I can't figure out how to get the lockplate off. of course the instructions on the tool are so vague no one can understand them. The instructions in the haynes repair manual aren't much better. it just says to "put the key in the run position and remove the lockplate". do i need to twist the lockplate in order to get it off?

10. HarryH3

Just about any parts store will have the lock cylinders. I got my last 2 at Pep Boys, and I've also seen them at AutoZone and Checkers.

The big U-shaped part of the lock ring puller slides over the bolt, which screws into the tubular adapter that screws onto the steering shaft. WIth the open part of the U facing the lock plate, start tightening the nut on the bolt. This will press the lock plate down enough so that you can remove the snap ring that holds it in place. Try to slide the snap ring up onto the part of the puller that screws onto the steering shaft. Then leave in on there while you do the rest of the work. This way you just screw the tool back onto the steering shaft, press the lock plate down and then slide the snap ring down the tool and into the groove that it fits into. Otherwise, reinstalling that snap ring will result in your neighbors thinking that you have a vocabulary that is limited to cussing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. BayouBlazer88

I finally got it. wasn't bad at all. what looked like a nightmare at first turned out to be a peice of cake. only problem was that damn snap ring. (since I didn't have any snap ring pliers). but I managed to rig up something consisting of 3 safety pins. (don't ask) Anyway, thanks a million HarryH3 and everyone else who posted.

ColoradoK5 rocks!

12. HarryH3

I guess that means that you found a lock cylinder! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif