Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! My new oil pump is giving me grief!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 26, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

before i start, here's my disclaimer: please excuse my overly technical language. ok, so i picked up a new oil pump and went to install it tonite. it came in two pieces - the body of the pump and the screen/funnel/tube section as a second part. so i try to install the tube into the body of the pump, but it seems like it's a force fit application. i oiled it a bit and gave it hell, but all i got was about 1/8" of 'insertion'. :rolleyes: so i wonder what to do. the only thing i can think to do is put the screen/funnel/tube section in a ziplock freezer bag and stick it in the freezer over nite or something, and then put the body of the pump in the oven for a little time (suggestions about time would be appreciated). it looks like, however, that there is a small insulated wire in the one side and i wonder if it should be going into the oven. thanks for your help!

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Normally there is a "bulge" in the tube that acts as a stop to limit how far the tube inserts into the pump. Use a wrench that fits around the tube, but will not slip past the bulge. Start the pickup tube into the pump and then put the wrench over it and tap the wrench with a hammer to seat it. A lot of people like to tack weld them in also, but I have found the press fit to be more than adequate in most cases.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing wrong with the oven/freezer trick, I think the insulated wire you are talking about is the painted pressure spring in the oil pump. :)

The wrench trick is what I've heard used most. GM didn't tack the pickups to the pump, but anyone that races and what not does. It's just a bit of insurance, if you've got a welder, it's free insurance.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

The other suggestions will work but honestly if you get too frustrated just take it to a local shop and have them do it for you. last time I changed the oil pump I was in a hurry and went to the shop around the corner from the parts store and had them do it for $10. It was a LOT easier and only took a few minkutes.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a tool for installing the oil pick-up tube. Like was said, you can use the wrench trick to get the job done but it is alot easier if you first bevel the edge of the pick-up tube.

Dorian, GM did weld the pick-up tubes to the oil pump, just not on SBC's. Every BBC i've ever taken apart that was factory had a welded on screen. Just a FYI piece of info in case you didn't know. :deal:

6. colbystephens

so with the wrench trick, i would use a box wrench or vice grips? if i were to do the oven idea, how hot would you heat the oven? anyone have any objections to the oven idea?

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

If you have the old pump you can swap the end plate with the pickup over to the new one.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I highly object to the oven idea. The last thing you want is to have the pressure relieve spring collapse and have no oil pressure. Heat is the best way to make it collapse. The spring is not very large in wire diameter and the oil barely sees 180* and it would take more than that to allow the pump to grow enough to install the screen. Also the heat could distort the oil pump housing and ruin the clearance between the gears. There is a tool for every job and a job for every tool, USE IT.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Check the books too, you need about 1/4" clearance (check) between the screen and the oil pan. I would make a check with the old pump and pan, and use that as a reference. You'll need clay for the clearance check.

10. colbystephens

cool. i'll avoid the oven idea. i think i will freeze the pick up tube tho, just to make things a little easier. i'm not interested in swapping anything over from my old pump to my new - i'm not replacing it because it was faulty, but because it's internals are dirty and for $50 insurance, i'll just take a brand new clean pump for my rebuild.

11. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

The part you'd be swapping is flat. Brakeclean the doodoo out of it and you're stylin'.