Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help my pass my e-test...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 30, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what things I can do to help my K5 pass its emissions test...I have already run a fuel system cleaner through it and replaced the fuel filter. I also did a basic tune up (plugs, wires, hoses, cleaned air filter,oil and coolant change) What else can I do to prepare for my e-test BECAUSE I WANNA PASS IT THE FIRST TIME.... Thanks

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What makes you think it might fail? If your engine is in even a decent state of tune, then it should pass. The emission test isn't that strict in Colorado.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I tried the trick everyone told me on here.... I dumped 1 liter of rubbing alcohol for every 15 gallons of gas (I think I dumped a bit more because I had an extra one and didn't need it so I used it). I got then at Wal-Mart and I think I bought 5 containers (I think just over 2 make a liter) for like .71 cents each at 91% alcohol. I sailed through and passed fine! Worth a shot. At the very least it'll just clean out the system. It won't hurt it. Exact same stuff that no pass no pay stuff is except way cheaper because you have now figured it out that that fancy bottle is what you are paying for....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Obvious: tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, PVC)

Not so Obvious: Make sure the truck is FULLY warmed up, might want to subsitute a hoter thermostat.
    Change the oil. Really! I've seen a car fail cause the oil was so contaiminated.
    I've heard the alcohol in the fuel trick, it "sounds" valid. Alcohol burns cleaner &amp; a vehicle will run leaner on alcohol unless modified for it.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Get it hot, really hot. excleterate hard, then run it down the freeway. Pull it right ino the shop, and don't let it idle too long. This gets the converter working at it's best. A converter really cleans up the emissions.

Change the oil. "Blow-by" dumps raw gas into the oil, plus all the other contaminates, then with the PVC sys it reburns i again- posibly makeing it rich.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Do they have "Ethenol" blended gas out there in CO.? Run a couple of tanks of that thru it, its like adding the alchohl to it, plus it "Cleans" the O2 up!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I took the test...This first time if failed the Hydro Carbon test. It was over the limit by only 7ppm though. Plus i had to wait an hour to get it done so the truck cooled down when I was waiting. BUT, I got a FREE retest and before that one I ran it like 15 miles on the highway and hauled ass around town. When I got to the testing center I waited in the car with it idleing and I would rev 'er up a bit like every 5 min or so... Well the seconed time it passed big time...The Colorado hydrocarbon limit(in my county) is 400ppm..First time I had 407ppm @ idle and 256ppm @ 2500 rpm...Second test, I had 270 @ idle and 241 @ 2500 rpm...big improvement, huh...thanks for your help guys...no I can relax a bit because I now have real plates instead of temporary tags [​IMG]

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>