Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, My Shifter Handle Fell Out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike's85K5, May 1, 2000.

1. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

I need help! While playing with my '85 K5 project truck tonight I pulled the shifter handle right out of the trans. The trans is a 4-speed manual (SM465 I'm assuming) and the former owner had put a Hurst shifter on it. I was backing the truck into the backyard and when I went to put it in first the handle pulled out of the trans into my hand. It only needs to be a temprary fix cause the trans is being swapped eventually for a auto. Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

how did it pull out ...........i mean is the ball thing cover (no idea what its called) busted ......it should have to pins that you push the cover down over and rotate ........are they busted or what???...........(you know i realy do know what i'm talking about i just cant describe it *S*)

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Is it a whole Hurst shifter, or just the knob? Does anyone make an aftermarket shifter for these trannys? It would be nice to have a shorter shifter and shift throw for mud and sand</font color=blue>

4. Mike's85K5

The ball thing cover that gets pushed on and twisted didn't break it just fell off and the shifter handle popped up in my hand. The handle also a ball shape to it at the bottom with two groves to slide over the two pins. I can put the handle back in the trans with the pins lining up with the groves on the shifter, but it doesn't change any gears!

Mike

5. Mike's85K5

Now that I think about it doesn't seem like a actual Hurst shifter handle, just the boot, chrome boot hold down plate, and knob.

6. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

My buddies truck does that all the time.Look inside the tranny through the hole,You should be able to see the notches where the shifter rides.the shifter will only go in one way and that will be whichever gear that it's stuck in.If you can't get it where it sits you might have to try putting it in neutral with a long screwdriver or prybar.I think neutral is when all the slots are lined up in the middle.Hope this helps.Good luck

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

ouch...

8. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

at the very end there should be a fork type shapped thing (flat but not square) its longer than it is wide ....that should point strait foward and back .....there is a (i believe this is what its called) roll pin thats keeps it from spinning around when you try to change gears ......mine busted one time and i had the same problem as you get a knew pin to keep that strait ......then shift the tranny into nuetral (all things lined up) to do that you push forward on the one thats back or vice versa (rember the sliding things (god i feel stupid *S*) are going to be the opisit of the direction the handle would be in ...........i hope this helps any ....you can actually install the shifter in any gear but i found its easer to do it in neutral just cause you dont have to play with it as much........i'm sorry i cant be more technical .......it was a year or two ago when i went through all that so its realy rusty .......i do remember it was a pain

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>