Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, my starter wires burned..need wiring help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jan 13, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

When my tranny caught fire the starter wires burned. there are 3 wires, 2 brach together into a piece of plastic I assume to be a fuseable link of some sort. The other wire also has a small round piece of plastic on it, then the 2 wires go into one ring terminal. It bolts up to the same post on the starter where the battery cable connects at.

So what do the plastic things do? They remind me of an inline fuse only its sealed. Could I just take all 3 wires and run them directly into a ring terminal?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go buy the fusible links and replace them. I've seen them at chain auto stores.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I didnt realize they sold them at the parts store...I guess I should look there before I freak out.
    brent

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Brent,
    I have a harness that may have enough wire for you to splice in OEM. The harness is already cut up. Send me a PM with length needed and I'll check it out for ya.

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Brent,
    I have a harness that may have enough wire for you to splice in OEM. The harness is already cut up. Send me a PM with length needed and I'll check it out for ya.

6. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Hey, the same thing happened to me, and I did a writeup of how I fixed it. You got any questions, email me. It should be the same, except I have the diesel dual battery setup.

Ford Starter Solenoid Writeup