Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help ... my tailgate is stuck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAD LUCK 79', Apr 19, 2003.

1. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

Hey all.. alright .. first off i feel stupid as [censored]..... i put a new seal on the tailgate and then closed it... only problem is now it's kinda stuck... it won't release by pulling the handle and with myself and my neighbor pushing on it to try and get it to release... anyone have any ideas how to get the latches to release???

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Jump in the truck and crawl back there and take the access cover off the gate. Then pull the two rods towards the middle and somethin should happen. Thats the only way Id know how to do it.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Thats right... the handle has 2 perpendicular metal "plates" on it. one on each side pointing forward and back. If those get bent the handle will not work well at all. Atleast thats what happened with me.

1) Be sure to Roll your window down.
    2) go to the back and unscrew all the screws and take the cover off. Now from the out side there will be 2 rods make an "X." Pull both of them towards trhe middle and that should unleash the latches. If that doesnt work then guess you gotta bust out the sledge and saw. lol jk /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a lock mechanisim set up that if the window isn't all the way open it locks out the latches and will not allwo the gate to be opened to protect the window. Take the pannel off inside. All the way at the bottom will be a L shapped bracket in a slide that he window has to hit when all the way open. The spring broke on our 79 one time and let that thing goof up. Check that.

5. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

Thanks ya'll.... i'll have to try it this week if i get off before 12 hours at work... i figured that would work... i just hope the latches will release... especially since i just rebuilt that tailgate.......