Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Need 85 to run tommorow but first I need to rebuild my ....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Apr 8, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

q jet. I bought the rebuild kit and all but i dont have the $20 to buy the rochester q jet manual. Anyone know where I can find it or tech tips online for rebuilding one for FREE?!?!?!?!?! I need this thing to run tommorow. ANY HELP IS NEEDED AND APPRECIATED!!!! PLEASE I NEED ANY TECH TIPS OR A LINK TO A MANUAL

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: Need 85 to run tommorow but first I need to rebuild my ....

The kit comes with instructions that are plenty good enough.

3. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Not for my retardness.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Remove air cleaner stud. Push (gently but firmly) the pin retaining the accelerator pump lever (lever is usually green or black) towards the center of the carb...push it JUST far enough to remove the arm....need to be able to put a screwdriver blade between the pin and the casting to caress the pin back into place. Might be different if this is a post '83 or so Q-jet. Remove secondary rods/hangars. Remove screw on the choke shaft (passenger side top) and remove the small linkage piece from the choke rod. Screw that piece back on so you don't loose it. Undo all Torx or flathead screws on top of carb. Flip carb over (holding it together) remove screws from underside. Flip carb back over, pull the airhorn (top 1/3rd of casting) up, while maneuvering it to disengage any passenger side diaphram linkage. No significant force should be necessary in most cases, and if you find yourself forcing it, ask the list how to do it.

Your's shoul dvary from this http://www.dorianyeager.com/cccqjetdiagram.html a fair amount, but it shows you what it will *basically* look like. Open up the kit, and you will see that there really isn't much to replace.

One word of advice, if the choke was working before the "rebuild" (re-gasketing IMO : ) DON'T screw with it. The electric chokes are a real bear to get working right IMO, especially when they are old. Anyone I personally know that has tried to mess with the electric chokes have been disappointed. Probably because they started bending linkage and what not, but hey. Ok, one more bit of advice, don't bend ANY linkage. Again, if it hasn't been monkeyed with before, its fine.

I'm sure I left out some of the finer details, but seriously, if you can bear to have the vehicle down for two nights, you should be able to have this rebuilt in two nights, with the lists help. The Roe book IMO is really only valuable (and it is valuable) in understanding how the carbs operate, and how to tweak them for higher performance. You can get rebuild info out of a Haynes manual IIRC, and it's not much worse. I don't know if the Roe book even has detailed teardown/rebuild instructions.

Open the kit up, and you will see that there isn't much to replace, and nothing that is replaced in a typical kit requires much guidance. It's all pretty much plain as day when you open up the carb.