Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help need basics on adjusting fuel/air? on carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, May 30, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I need some help bad, went and drove the blaze while ago to pick up a trailer after doing the HEI swap, well it idles good and revs good in the driveway but on the freeway it's dumping black smoke like all get out. bad bad

too much fuel is my guess, cause it's running like crap as well when driving.

I've got a carter AFB on it so it should be much the same as an edelbrock.

I know there's two screws on the front....

lead the blind here how do I get her back to running good...

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The two Idle air srew's are just that Idle air. Sound's to me like it's running way fat on the primary circuit, a little rejetting, and playing with needle's should fix you up.
    Carter used to make a strip kit, I think they still do, it contain's, jet's, and needle's, to get it jetted properly. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If it idles well do not touch those 2 screws. All they are is idle mixture screws, they have nothing to do with power under throttle. When you did the HEI swap did you regap your plugs? With HEI they can be gapped .045. What do your plugs look like? Could the black smoke be from oil?