Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, Need engine swap advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerD, Mar 18, 2003.

1. BlazerD

BlazerD Registered Member

Have an 83 diesel blazer 4wd. If converting to a 89 chevy 350 motor, will the engine side brackets for the motor mounts work?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Also have 700-r4, does anyone know of problems with bolt patterns???

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

should be the same motor mount locations and all. tranny too.

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Was t he 700r4 behind a diesel in the first place? the bolt pattern won't be a problem, but you will have to make sure you have the torque converter that goes with the gas engine. The one for the diesel has a different stall speed.

4. BlazerD

BlazerD Registered Member

Yes the 700 r4 was behind the diesel. What will happen if I keep the same torque converter (from diesel) for the gas?

5. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

you'll have problems accelerating- it'll stall around 1500 i think. you'll have very little power that lower in the powerband, better get a gas converter

6. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

The electrical system is real easy to switch over too... Mark the switched 12 (I forget what it was hooked too, but its in the passenger side front of the engine,) the water temp sending unit wire (same location as the smallblock,) and the oil pressure sending unit wire... Then you crack open all the split loom tubing and pull all the other wires out all the way back to the firewall. Most of them are in one harness in the tubing, you can just pull it in two. There was like three wires that actually go up the the firewall in that whole clusterfawk of wires. Then stuff all the needed wires back into the tubing and zip it up...

I saved the water temp sending unit and oil pressure sending unit out of the diesel (they look like the same size and threads os the CSB.) and was going to use them in my swap.

The hardest part of the swap is getting the TV cable out of the injector pump (or whatever the hell that is.) in the front of the engine. GM hides it under miles of CRAP.. I just cut mine off since I was planning on using a TH400 and a NP205 (Thanks Bradley /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Work on my Blazer ground to a halt about two weeks ago... I've been working too hard keeping OTHER people in engines to get too worried about mine /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif That and I need about a grand to get going again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Maybe its time to whore myself to all the women of Kalispell