Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help!! need help fast (starter) (AGAIN!!! wires go where??)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by oletater, Jul 6, 2003.

1. oletater

oletater Registered Member

all my wires got burnt up going to my starter b/c it was dragging real bad. i now have a new starter. i know that the big fat red one with the ring on it goes to the center post on the starter solenoid along with the wire coming form the battery. then the two inline fused wires go to the passenger side of the starter solenoid. what about the other red wire? does anything go on the driver side post of the starter solenoid?? thanks again ya'll!!

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: help!! need help fast (starter)

The battery cable and the fused wires go on to the center terminal and the small wire goes to the outside . Hope that helps

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you had your batteries checked out? Might want to see what shape they are in!! Also might want to upgrade your starter cable from a 2 to an 0 guage. Never had any problems getting power to the starter after that upgrade!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. oletater

they are all burnt out..again..arc'd on the frame, i'm re-routing all of them..again, inside convulated tubing and heater hose completely around in a very safe place..
    anyways, starting over on these..again
    here's a diagram if ya'll could fill me in..
    if i turn on the switch one or two of these 4 wires will get power, i can test that with a test light..the ones that get power will go on which post?
    and then when i turn the switch all the way to start it, one will get power, the one that does goes where? then if any wires are left, where will it go? the diagram i've drawn is looking at the starter as it is mounted on the 6.2, looking at it from the front of teh truck..
    thanks guys
    oh and i have a CK5 fund jar in my room and it has $14 in bills and about $2 in change (i told ya'll i was broke!)
    [​IMG]

5. oletater

anyone?

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it 24 volt or 12 volt? It might make a difference.

Did you happen to label any wires as they came off?

Did you check the starter to see if they are labeled?

Know of anyone in your area who owns a 6.2 24 or 12 volt that you could go and look at theirs?

Did you read the post by 6.2 man up a bit? Seems he told ya where to put things!!

7. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would hook up the fused wires to the center post your battery wire is at . Then check wires that are left with a testlight . You shouldn't have power to any other wires ? Then have some one turn and hold the key on like they were trying to start it . Use the testlight to check these wires that are left . then have them release and the testlight should go off . That wire that goes off will go on the smaller terminal of the solonoid that is closer to the frame ? Hope that helps ?