Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! need opinionated blazer owners!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nychopshop, Feb 1, 2006.

1. nychopshop

nychopshop Registered Member

I have a 1989 k5 I just picked up. I am purchasing an M1008 CUCV for the Dana 60 up front and the 14-bolt rear, not to mention the cool militart parts stuck on those things. I wanted to put 35" tires on 15" street-lock style wheels. I dont want to do much trimming, but I will do some if I have to. I heard that 4" ez-ride springs are the way to go. First, what would I need to correct the steering issues in the truck once its lifted (i.e. over-spring steering, etc.). Thusfar, I have heard that for the wheels I should use 4" of backspacing, and I know that bushwacker cut-out fender flares only cover 2" of tire, so my second question is how wide can I legally stuff rubber into that truck? is it possible to use 14.5" wide super swamper Thornbirds, or should I stick to 12.5"? Also, does anyone know the status of the development of revolver shackles for our fine trucks? Any other advise would be appreciated. Other future planned parts include (for the curious): buckstop front bumper with 4 PIAA lights, a 4x4iron rear bumper with side armor, 4x4 armor replacement rocker panel rocksliders, an np203/205 3-stick transfer combo, and if possible, a double shock front and triple shock rear. If anyone has any advise, please let me know. Thanks.
    Josh

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think you've got a pretty good idea going. regarding the steering, there's a ton of different options - however, quick and easy - get a raised steering arm. with a 15" wheel you'll have to grind your d60 calipers down. regarding the laws - look in the "regional members" section - there's laws listed there. aside from that, my best advice is stick around and read a ton and do lots of searching. all your questions in that particular post have already been answered.

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5!

to answer some q's

If you plan on running 15" rims on a D60 front you sould look for a backspacing closer to 2.75". The closer you push you wheel in with more backspacing more grinding you will have to do on the calipers.

Revolver shackles are usually shunned upon in this community. They have a tendency to unload. Echobit used to make a sweet rear shackle but they are out of business. MOst people run a DIY4X shackle flip or ORD.

As for the tire width laws in Ney York ....... I don't know any one else?

Another side not 4x4 iron is no longer with us, I guess Tim moved on.

On the multiple shocks will be shunned upon as well. MOst people just run singles usually higher end, .ike some nice bilstein.

I've got a question for you what tranny do you have?

Jesse

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd stay away from thornturds as well (suck)...although if you're planning on fake beadlocks it might not be getting wheeled anyways? :D

Rene

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

In which case you wouldnt need dual t cases or triple stick either;)

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Most of it was covered, but if you are going to put in a D60 you might as well go w/ crossover steering as well. Its a better solution than the correction kits sold for lifted trucks. Its not that much work or money with a D60 & ORD has a kit.

7. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

as far as new york tire laws i live in upstate ny and i have never heard of anybody having trouble with tires sticking out, but i think you are supposed to at least have mudflaps in the rear that cover the width of the tire

8. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're changing the bumper

and have a CUCV bumper and brush guard, and want to make a little money back, I would certainly be interested.

George

9. nychopshop

compromises

Unfortunately, I have to build this vehicle to be as workable on the street as offroad. Honestly, about 75% of this trucks life will be on pavement. I do want to be able to run it just about anywhere but down the rubicon, so beadlocks arent really that good of an idea for me. Fake beadlock wheels look better than regular steelies, correct me if im wrong... I want to lift the truck with a 4" lift kit, and fit the largest tires I can safely put on my stock rims on until I get the truck a little more trail worthy with things like a winch. I always was going to go with BFG MTs or AT/TAs due to road mannors, but since they are more expensive, and I plan to do whatever modifications later to effectively run 35s, I was thinking that a set of 33s would fit nice. I have the cash to get the tires and 4" ez-ride lift kit with dropped arm for starters, if anyone else has done this and knows what tire sizes are best, let me know please. Thanks.
    J

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stock rims are 15x8 (mostly, some are 15 x 7) and you can safely and easily run a 12.5 wide tire on that size rim. I ran 35 x 12.5's on 16.5 x 6.75" rims for years, never had a problem and with 50,000 miles on them those tires are still worn evenly.

4" lift and 33's or 35's is a great combo, very many truck here like that. you'll probably need to do some minor body trimming to fit the 35's and have no rubbing problems though.

I personally don't care for 'streetlocks'. In my opinion they'll make you look like a poser (even if you aren't) It's your money and your truck though...

Rene

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are going with 1 ton axles go with 37s I say. They are big axles and will laugh at 37s plus if your axles are military issue they will have 4.56 gears. Still use the 4" lift. You will have to trim a bit but not much. IMHO mud tires are the way to go I loved my BFG muds but must say a truck with 36x 14.5 swamper radials and small lift looks way more impressive and you will get more miles than you think out of the radials especially if you sipe them. Of course I am always of the opinion that if you have the hardware to do so run bigger tires and it sounds like you will have the axles to go with the tires. Also you will thank yourself every time you have to paralell(?) park if you go with crossover steering right off the bat. I really don't think there is much streetability lost with just a 4" lift even if you go as big as 37s. Sorry this is getting long but why go with 15s I don't know if they make the streetlocks in a 17" rim yet but that will help streetability a little by virtue of a smaller sidewall while not being so small you will destroy your rim. Anyway the more questions you ask here the more answers you will get. I know most poeple will agree small lift big tires is the best xover steering is the best and revolvers on full size trucks kind of suck

12. nychopshop

For simplicitys sake, can I stuff the 36" equipped humvee military 8-lug beadlocks on my d60/14 combo? I know the 16.5" wheels will clear the brakes without grinding. For now, I plan on lifting the truck 4" and putting 35's on the stock 6-lug wheels until I get my donor truck. I'm not quite ready or willing to part with the triple-stick shifter idea, so I guess its beadlock for me :crazy:

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

If you go the hummer rim route you will need to have the wheel shell recentered. Those rims have a massive backspace of like 7 or 8 inches. They work perfect on a dually axle comb, because the big backspce and large hubs compensate and make the tire line up perfectly under the fenders. There are a few places around here that can recenter tham for you, its not terrbily expensive I dont think. Or occassionally I see for sale in the ads here people selling there hummer rims already recentered.

You have to figure why you want the triple stick in the first place, just for the bling or actually needing/wanting the lower crawl ratio.

14. nychopshop

I absolutely do intend to build this truck for serious usage, but I cant imagine getting the truck done unless I do it in stages, possibly taking years. I have the triple-stick planned for the future when I need it, and not beforehand. I do plan on needing the triple stick, but I am much more worried about the lift, the wheels, and the tires. Thanks for the heads up on the hummer rim backspacing, tho. I thought it had to be too good to be true, but they should be worth getting altered, no?