Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help need report on this 88 ? caprice car vin code,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jul 15, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

supposed to be an 88 caprice with LG4 and MX1 700r4 but its wierd cuz its 4 bbl carbureted and not TBI though, i dont understand it, but i do know that like some 87 88 camaros and firebirds and such were carb equipped and not FI yet, so hummmmm..

anyways the caprice vin code is 1G1BU51H6JA165215

H is LG4 engine i know, so that checks out and its listed on RPO sticker on trunk deck to match and so therefore is correct

lemme know how to decode this one

or what you can readily find out on it

really i just want to verify its an 88 and is LG4

but anything else would be great

btw this is a car i just drove home to keep and daily drive tonight, so i am checking it out, it has an 85 parisienne doghouse clip on it, so the engine emissions label on radiator fan shroud support does nothing good at all regarding the rest of the car lol,
    other than saying liter size and year of the 85 parisienne donor car that the doghouse is from,

thanks for your time :D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hi, thanks

positions 4 and 5 are BU on this 88,

that page is for 91 up, doesnt list BU for car line series

anyone know of a page liek this with car line codes for late 80s b-bodies ?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like it might have been a cop car. In that era they came with TBI heads and a 4 barrel carb. I'm not sure if that was also available on civvy cars or not. Anyway, that intake will fit onto a TBI engine without having to mod the angle of the holes. :laugh:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

harry naa its not a 9C1 or anything, its not on rpo decal, its not evne a trailer pulling equipped one or anything,
    its just a base LG4(LG4 was optional though in these 88 brougham LS's, the 4.3 was the std engine put into in them for this year and model package)

it doesnt even have the large axle and large wheel hub bolt pattern and larger rotors and spindles and the rear swaybar that the 9c1's got, or the 9c6(taxis)

plus the interior is all wrong to be a 9C anything, its definitely civvy soft deep plushy interior and everything hehee, and is a soft rider not a stiff rider like the 9C's were(heavier springs and such)

yeh the intake is neat cuz its a factory tbi head/carb intake deal :D

i didnt even realize it til after i got done swapping out th carb i was standing back admiring the 72 carb sitting on it and was liek oh damn those are centerbolt cover heads and the intake is GM 4 bbl aluminum factory all original, thats cool :D

i wonder if its a roller cam one though, those started in 87 or 88 i know, but i dont think the LG4 would have been rollers, since LG4 is the lowest 305(but is same 4bbl and stock aluminum GM intake however)

so i like the car even more cuz its one of those oddballs like this for a couple three years hehe, plus i like the look of the centerbolt covers :D
    i wonder how it would look painted a color other than the stock black

hmm....... !

but anyways ive learned a couple new things since aquiring this car and working on it since last evening and all night(am stiillllll up cant sleep damn and work at 4 tonight til 1;30am humm :/)

i didnt evne know the difference between a brougham and a brougham LS, and well theres a huge dcifference lol, for real, i didnt realize this this little bit of info, and never would have known if i hadnt gotten this car and researched about them,

its all good, its all about learning more and more "useless info" which is always happening every day every hour all the time, :D

thanks

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    It is a 1988 Chevy Caprice Classic Broughm or LS, 4 door sedan, with manual belts, built in Lakewood GA, with a 5 Liter V-8 4 Barrel.

:D

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

88 for sure :D

i forgot that caprices didnt get TBI til 89 or 90

oops

i was like uhh why the hell is it carb and not TBI and w/ it being an 88 ?

lol.

:haha:

GM and the 80's

wierd,

sheesh, :doah:

BTW its both a Brougham, AND an LS Landau extra padded and is in real nice shape no wear or dryrotting, i need to get UV protectant for it though, i dunno where or what yet, hum, is way better design than the 77-early 80s vinyl roofs.. i tell ya what, by faaaaaaaaar!

`88 Brougham package info:

B6N RPO code

CAPRICE CLASSIC BROUGHAM LS SEDAN (MERCHANDISING OPTION)
    Consists of:

- CB4:ROOF COVERING, VINYL, PADDED, RR INTEGRAL PAD(LANDAU)
    - C93:LAMP EXTERIOR, OPERA

the operas i need to put LED strips into, as the inverters died long ago and so have no light in them, once i figure out how in the hell to remove the lenses/assemblies from the door frame pillars, hum,,

must be screws inside pillar somehow, i dunno,

thanks