Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Need Your Opinion and Advice <<< UPDATE>>>

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greyskull, Oct 21, 2003.

1. greyskull

greyskull Registered Member

OK this is a very delayed update the problem with the truck not starting was because it was loosing its prime it was loosing its prime because the idiot who owned it before me did not tighten the bolts down on the carb. I found all the bolts hand tight when I finally had decided to pull the carb off to rebuild it. I tightened all the bolts and bam fired right up and has been running fine ever since. Thanks to all who replied!!!

&lt;&lt;Original Message&gt;&gt;

I just signed up today hello all. I bought a 83 K5 silverado Blazer last week in excellant shape completly stock all original. I have a problem with it not starting when its cold outside. I know everyone will probably say it is the choke but it will not spray any fuel in the carb when you try to start it cold. But it starts fine as the day warms up. please help!! Also this thing is completly original does someone have a guide or a web site on mods and things to take off and do to a all stock truck. I want to get rid of the vacuum nightmare and the single exhaust and just start ripping stuff off and bolting on Horse Power.

I want to fix this truck up nice and just play in the mud with it a little. Also what do I need to do if I put this lift on the truck. Longer driveshaft? My thoughts are:
    3" Body lift
    4" susp lift
    37 or 38 swampers what wheels would work best?
    shocks?
    400 HP motor which I have in my Z-28
    true duals 3" exhaust

WHAT ELSE ?

Specs on truck are:

Type: Silverado
    Engine: 305
    Fuel : 4 BBl
    Tranny: Auto
    drive : 4x4
    suspen: No Lift yet
    Tires : BF goodrich 33x12.5 50 r 15
    Axles Factory: 308 gear

2. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Re: HELP!!! Need Your Opinion and Advice

First, you should fill in your bio. There may be someone near by who could help in person.
    I can't help you with your cold start problem.
    As for lift and tires... w/ a 4" suspension lift your stock drive shafts should be okay (I had a 6" and stock shafts and a previous Blazer). You are gonna wanna lower the t-case though. Your gonna have trouble fitting 38's on 7" total lift. I have 8.5" total and I had to trim the piss out of my fenders (they are 38.5x16 on 16.5x12" wheels though). If you don't wheel that much try going with a 4-6" lift and 35's (no need for the body lift there). But if you are like me you gonna want the 38's. In that case you'll need a 6" suspension and a 3" body lift. As for wheels, I run the M/T classic II's. Its an affordable cast aluminum wheel. The steel wheels are cheaper and stronger in that price range though, but don't look near as good and are heavier. As for shocks... all the ones I had road like a lifted truck... stiff. I've used superlift superides and some other no name brand. I want to run the RS9000x as soon as I can pony up the 350+ bucks.
    Also you're gonna need lower gears, esspecially with the 38's.... actaul ratio will depend on your tranny (with or with out OD).
    That should be enough to get you started.....
    Good luck and welcome to CK5....

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

If you are running 33's stock you should be able to get away with 38's with the 4/3 lift you stated, you may need some minor trimming however depending on wheel offset and tire width. I was running 33's stock add a 2 inch add-a-leaf in frt. and rear and am now running a 35 that measures to 35.2" but is only 12.5 wide. Steel are heavier but the don't start looking like sh^T when the clear coat get scrached then starts peeling. If your only looking at highway and mud go with a 36x14.5, gears, and 4 inch lift. Then look at wheel offset to accom. this size of tire with your set-up. ***Everybody is different, with different tastes and ideas, so do what looks good to you and just take others advise into consideration.*** This is just what I'd do, not what you or others would do...

4. greyskull

greyskull Registered Member

Thanks guys all good info. I just found out my dad found some nice 16x8 crome wheels for the truck now to find out how big a tire I can put on them. Anyone know?

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

take your truck out til you cant go anymore, then get what you need to go where you couldnt
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mods, phase 1: 3/4 or 1-ton axles

mods, phase 2: all that other junk you listed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im a big fan of swapping axles first and installing monster meats/lifts last. Just my opinion...

j