Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help needed, please

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by delta9blazer, Aug 14, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my truck has had a noise in the rear for some time now. i was told that it was the r&p, and it made sense. it is a vibration/rattle that occurs mostly at nuetral throttle, and it happens much more at 70mph and above than below 60 or so.
    my ten bolt went out a few months ago, and i dropped a 12b with 4:56's and an auburn.
    the rattle was still there. i suppose the gears coulda been on their way out, but the guy i bought it from swears they came out of a running truck, and they were good. i got them through here, so i'd rather believe that it's something else.
    someone suggested that my driveshaft is too short, but i don't want to drop another $150-200 on a guess.
    it has to be hurting something on my truck, but it's been there for like two freakin years. as long as i drive it mellow, with nice, smooth throttle, it will take me to work and back just fine, and run the whole damn family to oregon, if i need.
    we crawl under and make sure everything is tight, and the rattle doesn't go away. things vibrate loose, and the rattle/noise gets louder, but then we tighten everything back up.
    i can't keep a soda in my center console, because the truck vibrates it all outta the can.
    anybody good with drivetrain issues be willing to ride in a norcal bigdawg's truck to troubleshoot?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but the guy i bought it from swears they came out of a running truck, and they were good

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh well then i'd believe that guy! I hate those guys that swear it was running before. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGH!

You've got an auburn... did you put in the posi additive in the gear oil?

It sounds like it could be a driveshaft that is out of balance, or too short... if you've ever broken a u joint and banged that driveshaft around it could be out of balance, and never the same.
    ...or it could be the pinion angle is causing the vibe. You can use the wedge shims to change pinion angle.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Check the rubber mounts on the T-case...

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I had an Auburn Gear locker in my 72 and it made a little noise right before it blew up and the company wouldn't warranty the Durn thing it was only 6 months old and less than 3500mi. I said I would never buy another and all I run now is Detroits! Although I'd be tempted to try ARB Air Locker out!
    Bill C

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

ARBs HEE HEE HEE...

DAMN LINES keep breaking... I will be solving that with some brass lines.

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Just gotta learn how to route them so they don't get damaged.
    Bill C

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It would help if I didn't SIT on them when I am working in the engine compartment. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Delta-
    Sorry for taking over your post...

I suspect it is a driveshaft or a U-joint problem. Good luck.

I would help if you were close to me... I just went through four driveshafts (three trucks) with AAA driveshaft in Sacramento.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What city do you live? I am always ready to give any advice or a helping hand when I can.

9. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Delta-
    Did you check the T-Case bolts?

For the longest time I had problems with a major vibe. Started to leak some ATF. I got under and noticed the 4 main bolts to the adaptor had worked there way loose to the point of being only "finger tight".

Like GoKarter said check the rubber mounts to the Tranny/T-case. I replaced mine 2 or more years ago and the rubber started to become brittle in my hands. That solved my major problems. With all of the oil an road grime and age. The replacements worked well. GOOD LUCK! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

hey, thanks for all the replies.
    i'll crawl under there today and look at the t-case bolts and mounts.
    and i keep hearing about how all i might need to do is throw some shims in there.
    throw what shims in where?

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

between the springs and the spring perches on the axle...it would rotate the pinion up or down depending on what way you need to go...