Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help needed removing top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by emoo99, Jun 30, 2004.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Well my trucks too big to even try to fit in the garage so besides getting a friend to help me does anyone have any cheap ideas i can do to get this top off /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif?

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I used to have two really tall sawhorses. So i would lift up the top, slide in two 2 x 4s one front, one back, and then i'd bolt the top to the 2x4s then slide it off the back onto the fore mention super tall saw horses. worked pretty well, did it by myself, but its a lot easier with three friends.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It's all about a burly friend. Or maybe 4 or 5 wimpy friends. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Either way unless you wanna try the tall saw horses idea or a sky crane buds are the way to go.

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

unless you have a garage to back it into and then lift it of with something,four friends is the best idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

that's true /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif any ways it's for reference /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifmy brother tried to help me get mine off,but he was standing on the tire so when we went to lift it he fell and mine went down the passager fender /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifIDIOT /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

that sucks.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Note to self.....

Next time takin the top off don't stand on the tire. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Ko got it! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I set up a way to take mine off alone. I put 4 4 by4 by 10's in the ground and bolted some heavy "L" brackets to them. I would pull in between them unbolt the top, lift it with my back and slide a 4 by 4 ontop of the L brackets from Drivers side to passenger. Same thing in the back. I had a roll bar so I would do the front and back and then drive forward to just before the roll bar hit the 4 by 4 and then I would lift the top and hold it while my wife eased the truck forward about a foot and then I put the 4 By 4 back in behind the roll bar.

. .
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    . .
    I thought that might help explain it better /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I used to do the garage thing too with a comealong and some 2x4s but now it wont fit in the garage anymore but with me and my roomate together we can get it off with no problem. if you need some help taking it off I would be more than willing to come help I am just down the way in redmond.

12. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

Kids, don't try this at home, this is only for experienced professionals. Remove all bolts that attach the top to your truck, then take a piece of rope and securely attach it to the top. Take the other end of the rope and attach it to the nearest tree you can find (make sure it's a big tree). Now here's the tricky part. Figure out how to keep from damaging your top after you rev your truck up to 6,000 rpm and slam it into gear. If you're not comfortable with this method find a friend to help you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

The easiest way is to jus leave it off once you get it off. When I have taken mine off I was not worried about scratching paint so I unbolted it and tilted and slid it off the back by my self. If you only have a half top it should be easier than my full top.

<font color="green"> Later,
    Allan Greenblazer</font>

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

well, those are all really good ideas.. don't have any local trees though.. and i don't want ro rely on a friend to be around when it starts raining.. here in washington it's sunny one day and raining the next so i can't take it off and leave it off for a few weeks.. I was thinking of using my winch to lift it off somehow.. hmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    This is what I did to get the top off the truck.

I slid two 2x4's inbetween the bedrails and the top.
    Then made the side frame.I lifted each of the 4 corners onto the blocks which are slightly higher than the bedrails.
    Then I drove the truck out.

I did however get 3 other guys to help get it to the ground a couple weeks later.

As linked to by smokkey1,I've since rigged up an electric winch to raise and lower the top on and off the truck.
    [​IMG]

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A freind of mine uses his engine crane to remove his roof--he made a peice of square tubing that slides into the end where the chain goes and bolted a peice of 3/4 plywood to it.He just rolls the crane to the rear of the truck,and puts the crane arm in through the back window and pumps it up,and drives away--he did learn the hard way not to leave it there without tying it to the legs of the crane and jacking it up till the ropes are tight--a gust of wind made it fall one day,luckily it was on the grass and no real damage occrred--.We use the same setup to put a tranny in his car when it was up on his lift too--worked great!.

17. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

well what i do is hook up a cd player blast some slipknot or whatever gets ya in a pissed off mood and rage out and lift the topper up slide it back like 2 feet then i just pop my shoulders up andlift the topper full about an inch off the back and walk it off over my head. then i usually worn out for the next10min but i get the job done by my self

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to take the roof off my 72 K5 alone years ago--I only weighed 140 lbs then,and 6'4"tall---that was the full roof all the way to the windsheild,its a heavy mother**%%$##.I was so sore after doing it a few times alone I ended up making a wooden stand similar to the one in the previous post's picture(even the blazer looks like my old one except its green!)--then I accuired a neat thing from a trailer place that sold truck caps,made of square tubing,looked like an engine crane,but had legs wide enough to back the truck between,and a hand crank winch to pick up the roof.I think a lot of the problem isnt always how to get it on and off,but where to leave the roof and its removal apperatus where it wont get stolen or damaged while its off.Now that I have a garage that I could hoist it off in,and store it in,I dont have a K5 anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Might have to do something about that--I miss having a convertible in the 2 summer months!