Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help needed with 77 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Mar 24, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

First off my speedometer is not working i.e. reads 0mph all the time and I need to know what to look for to fix it. Second I need to know what the temp and oil pressure guages should read when warmed up so I can see if they are working correctly. Third I would like to know how to tell what gears I have in the rear end, is there a way to know with out popping the cover off the rear diff. This is a 2WD BTW.

Thanks for your help.
    Monty

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Speedometer cable, gear in transmission , or speedometer itself. Not much else to that truck. I would suspect cable first. No one can answer the gauge question correctly . It will vary depending on thermostat installed and the rest of cooling system for the temp gauge. As for the oil gauge it will depend on the condition of the engine and whther you have a stock pump or not. Generally pressure goes down as engine wears which makes the clearances greater. If there is no tag on the rearend you will have to open the cover and look on ring gear, which is a good idea to change the fluid once a year at least anyway. Hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

BTW on mine my temp is 185 most of the time and my oil pressure is 30 psi. This is for MY truck 305/700r4/208/10b/12b 3 row radiator , clutch fan, and stock engine with new heads.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay I checked the speedo cable and it is disconnected at the trans. so I will try to reconnect it. It looks like the speed sensor in the trans that it connects to might be broken off. How would I replace this part? Also it has a holley carb could someone tell me how to adjust the idle and if there is a fuel filter in the carb? I see one inline from the fuel pump to the carb about the size of a small soup can is there supposed to be another one?

4. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As far as the gearing goes,make mark on tire,then make a mark on driveshaft,then slowly have a friend PUSH the truck for one tire revolution while u count the driveshaft revolutions.If driveshaft goes a little over 4 times its 4:10 if it goes 3 3/4 times its 3;73 and so on.Above all else dont run your self over......it hurts. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

5. pauly383

The gear is available at the dealership, or when I dig up the link from here I'll tell you. There is a housing you unbolt to change the speedo gear. Pretty easy. Some holley carbs had filters , but not all of them. Look for some numbers on the airhorn so we know which one it is. If it did have one in carb it is sintered bronze looking and toss it out and use inline. Let me know how it goes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

okay you'll have to excuse me here I'm new to carbs and these trucks where would I find the numbers on the carb? Will the numbers help tell where the idle mix screw is? What is the best way to adjust the idle setting? Do you happen to know the price range of the speedo gear? It is in a 350 trans if it makes a difference.

7. pauly383

The numbers are on top of air horn , or where the door for choke is, it will stare right at you when you remove air cleaner. I forgot to tell you where the a/f screws were. On most there is one on each side in the front. Right in the center of the block between carb body and float bowl. If it was a race carb there would be two on the back also /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif