Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help needed with stuck brake drum

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Oct 8, 2001.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

This is on a 14-bolt sf rear. I have backed off on the adjustment enough that the shoes are not touching the drum. I have been shooting PB Blaster around the center of the drum and around the studs several times a day for a week. I have pried and pounded on this thing - I have tried heat, but I still can't remove this drum. Any helpful hints?

DJ
    78 K5

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

if the shoes are away from the drum, a few smacks on the axle itself usually will knoock it off. dont be afraid to smack the $hit out of it, but dont hit the drum.

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

14 bolt SF or FF? I just recently fought to get the drum of my wifes POS Cherokee. I ended up taking a hammer and hitting the end of the axle in the center. This was enough to break the rust seal.
    If it's a FF you'll have to remove the axle shaft first etc. etc.

I've done this one...is the E-brake off? Thats kinda embarrassing, but I've done it.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just hit the drum with a BFH. I don't think it is possible to break (My hole truck fell on mine after loosing the wheel...it just scratched it).

If by chance you do break it (good luck trying) just buy a new one.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>