Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help needed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Jul 21, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Could someone please tell me the order the stuff goes in the rotor on the spindle for a dana 44 front axle (lock nuts, spring, etc.). I used my hanes manual but it doesn't tell me or show me how to put the stuff back in. I ended up using my buddies furd hanes manual parts break down and put it together. I put in the bearing, grease retainer,spring, 1st lock ring with the little nipple for the ring with all the holes in it, then the ring with all the holes in it, then the next lock ring, then the hub. Now I get a loud popping when I turn. I replaced the u-joints on the axle shafts and they were not really stiff and not too loose. One of my hubs was busted when I pulled them so I got a new set of warns. Is the popping sound part of breaking them in. The grease retainer ring was just floating in there when I pulled it, but now it started squealling, so I pulled it out. I'm supposed to go wheeling on saturday, I even bought a brand new truck so I could pull the jimmy. Just trying to do some preventative maintainance..... please help, my wife got the saturday off so we could go and will be mad if we don't go. (plus, I dropped about $600 for odds and ends parts so we could go). Thanks everyone.:bow:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  2. littlejimmythatcould

3. littlejimmythatcould

Nevermind, I found the problem... I think. Upon closer inspection... My brake pads on the outside of the rotor have some movement (side to side, not back and forth), only when I'm rolling do they make noise, kind of a chinging sound but when I apply the brakes the noise stops:dunno: . The brakes don't seem to be affected by the pad being the way it is and the truck stops so... The popping is gone and the squealling is gone, I removed the grease retaining ring because it was moving around in there. Thanks anyways though.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

What is this grease retaining ring you are talking about?

5. littlejimmythatcould

I couldn't figure out if it was necessary. It was just floating in there and creating a screaching sound and filling everything with metal shavings.

7-22 021.jpg

7-22 023.jpg

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I haven't had one of those in any of my hubs before? Maybe because they are Warn aftermarket?

7. littlejimmythatcould

It goes in before that 1st locknut, but I took it out and seems to be working fine, I went wheeling on saturday with no problems.